Crusting Buttercream

Decorating By staceyboots Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 12:31pm by indydebi

staceyboots Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:18am
post #1 of 8

Hi Guys

I am looking to reduce the amount of shortening that I use in my buttercream recipes.

Would a cake covered with a 50/50 margarine/shortening buttercream crust?

7 replies
indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:26am
post #2 of 8

what recipe are you using? Most recipes I see have too much fat in them to start with. Crusting is a ratio of fat to sugar ... more sugar, more crusting.

My recipe uses 1-1/3 cups crisco to 2 lbs p.sugar.

staceyboots Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:33am
post #3 of 8

thanks for responding so quickly, indydebi!

i usually use 8 ounces of shortening to 4 cups of sugar.

indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:50am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyboots

thanks for responding so quickly, indydebi!

i usually use 8 ounces of shortening to 4 cups of sugar.

ok, you're throwing me with weight and volume measurement.... apples and horsehoes. How many cups is 8 ounces of shortening (I measure by volume and not by weight). I might assume 8 oz is 1 cup, but when comparing weight to volume ... 8 oz of nails is less volume than 8 oz of feathers.

staceyboots Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:00pm
post #5 of 8

i use 1 cup of shortening to 4 cups of sugar

indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:19pm
post #6 of 8

A 2lb bag is about 7 cups of sugar, give or take, so you're using 2 cups of fat to 2lb sugar.... a little higher than what I normally use.

YOu can reduce the amount of shortening just by reducing the amount of shortening. If it needs to be a thinner or thicker consistency for decorating, adjust the amount of milk/water you use.

Here's my recipe: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

vickymacd Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:24pm
post #7 of 8

I just bought a kitchen scale (bathroom scale is not my friend!) and I'm amazed at the difference in what I THOUGHT I was using when a recipe calls for a certain amount and now I find that it's not!

For all of you professionals out there, do you all measure your ingredients in real weight (such as conf. sugar) or as the bag says?

indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:31pm
post #8 of 8

icon_lol.gif vicky, I"m a bad one to ask since I'm a "until it looks right" cook! I know my recipe but I rarely measure it anymore. I know that this one particular spoon, shoved in the crisco can, spun twice and removed will pull out about a cup to a cup-and-a-half of shortening, more or less. I know I need 6 or 7 of those when I use two 7-lb bags of sugar (maybe 8, depending on how it looks). I just pour the milk in "until it looks right".

I'm trying to teach my high school girls how to "read" my recipes. I have a chocolate cookie recipe that calls for 6 Tbsp of water, but depending on how the dough comes out, we may need to use up to 9 Tbsp water. It all depends on how well the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl; it depends on how the dough either falls away from the beater when I turn it off ... or how it just droops and sags away from the beater. Can I roll some of the dough into a ball and is it stiff? Or can I roll it into a ball and it be kinda stiff and a little shiny looking?

They're doing a good job of cooking "my" way! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%