Citrus Cakes From White Cake Mix?

Decorating By TexasSugar Updated 3 Aug 2008 , 11:49pm by MelZ

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:43am
post #31 of 39

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif So tonight I taught a Course 1, Lesson 2, in which students bring a cake to class to decorate. In Lesson 1, I sing the praises of WASC but also let them know there are a ton of doctored recipes here on CC and encourage them to try different recipes rather than just baking straight boxed mixes. Well, one of my students said that she made a strawberry cake using pureed strawberries and a box of Jell-O gelatin added to a white cake mix, and she said it was amazing, and that the texture was very cake-like, not rubbery! She got the recipe here.

LOL - so, I was wrong about gelatin not belonging in cake mix! icon_biggrin.gif

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:58am
post #32 of 39

That's ok Cakepro, none of us are perfect. icon_lol.gif I am so glad to hear that it is definitly possible to put jello in cake, it is something I've been wanting to try for a while now, and am so excited to be doing it soon! thumbs_up.gif

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:59am
post #33 of 39

Oh...I love that recipe...it is yummy!!!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 5:12am
post #34 of 39

stlcakelady, do you use a mix w/ or w/out the pudding added? I'll have to try that sometime.

As for Jello & ice cream, The Cake Mix Doctor has recipes that use both (not together). If you bake using boxes I highly suggest this cookbook! It has some really yummy cakes in there. I've ALWAYS gotten rave reviews over her strawberry cake & it uses jello. She has a good light lemon one in there too---don't know why I didn't think about it. It bakes in a bundt pan, but I'm sure it could be converted to a different pan.

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:26pm
post #35 of 39

Dandelion...I use Pillsbury mixes. I'm really not sure if they have pudding in the mix or not, to tell you the truth. Its just their "White" mix. It is by far the easiest and tastiest lemon cake I have had. The nice thing is that it is so moist and tart (but not too tart) and doesn't have that artificial taste from a store bought lemon cake. I've also taken the white mix or even Pillsbury's butter yellow mix and added frozen orange juice concentrate (thawed, not diluted) and that makes a yummy orange cake. You can add zest of the fruit to either mix and that will give even more punch.

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:18pm
post #36 of 39

I've read through all of these post about jello & everyone has good things to say about putting jello in there cakes. I agree, I recently came up with a peach jello cake that my family all gave a 5 out of 5. Some viewers on CC rated it with 0's as very bad icon_surprised.gif Am I crazy or what why did my family like this so much & other members on this site rated it very bad icon_confused.gif .

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 9:49pm
post #37 of 39

I think I'll give the lemon a try w/ the concentrate next time I make one

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 11:18pm
post #38 of 39

Well, I finally made a cake with jello, and I must say it was delicious! icon_biggrin.gif I made it for my birthday today! party.gif I used the "Lemon Supreme Pound Cake" recipe from this site. All in all it was great, the only thing I'll do different next time is make plain glaze instead of lemon glaze. It was a bit tart. Can't wait to try this recipe with different flavors like strawberry and orange. thumbs_up.gif

MelZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelZ Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 11:49pm
post #39 of 39

Good to know, I'll have to try that one.

Happy Birthday Amy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%