Citrus Cakes From White Cake Mix?

Decorating By TexasSugar Updated 3 Aug 2008 , 11:49pm by MelZ

TexasSugar Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 3:18am
post #1 of 39

Okay so I thought I would play around with some different flavors using white cake mixes. I know in theory I should be able to add lemon/lime/orange juice to a white cake mix along with some zest to make a nice flavored cake. But how much? Do you sub half, less than or over half of the water for the juice?

I know that it would depend on how strong you want the flavor to be, but I was hoping someone could give me a good starting point?

Also do I need to add in lemon/lime/orange extract to the juice and zest of should they be enough with out it?

And while I am asking juice and zest questions... Is there anything special I need to do to freeze fresh lemon or lime juice? What about zest? What is the best way to freeze the fresh zests?

38 replies
kakeladi Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:37am
post #2 of 39

I would use all juice instead of any water.
As for how much zest......I'd start w/about 1/2 teaspoon. It really is going to be a personal taste. I rememvber when I was trying to duplicate the butter peacn cake when I could'nt get the mix anymore I started out w/one cup of ground nuts only to have to cut it down (eventually) to only 1/3C for best taste.
& as for adding extract.....again it is going to be a personal flavor/tast to know which is the best combonation. Good luck and let us know what you come up withicon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 5:12am
post #3 of 39

I've done it in the past but can't remember for the life of me what I did. But I did just make a key lime cake of Paula Deens. It was from scratch & used 1/4 c juice & 2 T of zest. I thought the flavor was heavenly, not too much. I would replace all the water & add the zest of at least 1 lemon/lime (gives about 1 T), then taste & see how you like it. I like tasting the batter b/c you'll get an idea of what the end product will be like.

As for freezing I would place the juice in an ice tray cube, freeze, & then place in a freezer safe ziploc. I don't know about zest. Maybe place a little in each cube of the ice tray before freezing.

gateaux Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 5:49am
post #4 of 39

If you plan on extending your recipe with yogurt, flour and sugar, like the extender recipe:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1977-Cake-Mix-extender.html

I would use lemon yogurt with zest from 1 lemon and about 1 to 3 tbsp of lemon juice. If you take a little taste you will see if you need more lemon juice.

Good Luck.

dandelion56602 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 3:00pm
post #5 of 39

Let us know what you try & how it turns out!

Cakepro Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 39

I actually developed a lemon cake recipe that starts with a white DH cake mix, and it gets rave reviews!! It's very moist and very fragrant.

Here's the recipe:
Ingredients:

1 box Duncan Hines white cake mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 box Jell-O brand instant lemon pudding mix
1/2 tsp salt
4 whole eggs
1 1/3 cup water
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
1 tsp clear vanilla flavor
2 tsp lemon extract (I prefer Watkins)
Zest and juice from 2 large lemons

Add ingredients to mixing bowl and mix as usual for 2 - 3 minutes. Pour into greased cake pans with a greased flower nail in the center of each pan. Bake in a 325 degree oven. Cake is done when a toothpick has some crumbs clinging to it.

Enjoy!

CakesByLJ Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 3:14pm
post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

I've done it in the past but can't remember for the life of me what I did. But I did just make a key lime cake of Paula Deens. It was from scratch & used 1/4 c juice & 2 T of zest. I thought the flavor was heavenly, not too much. I would replace all the water & add the zest of at least 1 lemon/lime (gives about 1 T), then taste & see how you like it. I like tasting the batter b/c you'll get an idea of what the end product will be like.

As for freezing I would place the juice in an ice tray cube, freeze, & then place in a freezer safe ziploc. I don't know about zest. Maybe place a little in each cube of the ice tray before freezing.

I would love that Paula Deen recipe you made, if you can share it... pleeease.. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

alanahodgson Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:06am
post #8 of 39

The first time I made a lemon cake I used a white mix w/ lemon juice. For one box of mix I used 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice then filled the measuring cup containing the juice up to the 1 1/3 mark with water (as the mix required 1 1/3 cup water). I used 1 tsp lemon extract and the zest of 1 lemon. It had the perfect amount of lemon flavor. The one thing I noticed, though, was a slightly bitter flavor that I THINK may come from a reaction between the acid of the lemon and baking soda or baking powder in the mix. I could be crazy and just imagining it, but now I just use lemon cake mix with water and lemon extract.

TexasSugar Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:26am
post #9 of 39

Thank you for the replies.

I think I'll start with part juice and part water to see how lemony it is then add more juice if needed.

My concearn about using sour cream or yogurt with the juice is when I have tried that in the past I have gotten a weird texture sort of heavy and kind of gummy. I wasn't sure it was the mixture of the juice and dairy or just the juice causing it. Thought I'd find something with just the juice to see how it goes.

I won't get to play with it this week since I have to do a cake for my SIL (she doesn't like lemon) and a wedding cake this weekend. But hopefully next week I will find a reason to make another cake. icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:44am
post #10 of 39

Sounds like you're underbaking the cake. At least that's the cause of when I had that problem before...but it was with WASC before I figured out how best to bake it (low and slow).

CocoaBlondie Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:06am
post #11 of 39

It does look like from most of the recipes I see to swap all water to juice. No no zest, but same extracts. I hope this helps.

TexasSugar Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:29am
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Sounds like you're underbaking the cake. At least that's the cause of when I had that problem before...but it was with WASC before I figured out how best to bake it (low and slow).

I bake everything at 325. I have only had that problem when I have added the juice with yogurt/sour cream. I've done the WASC and extender recipes (with no juice) and haven't had the same textutre.

AmyGonzalez Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 5:14pm
post #13 of 39

Has anyone ever used a box of jello in cake?

alanahodgson Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:06pm
post #14 of 39

I've tried Jello in strawberry cake and didn't care for the texture. The flavor was great, but the texture was a little....rubbery??

Cakepro Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 8:14pm
post #15 of 39

Jell-O as in gelatin? Or Jell-O as in pudding mix?

Jell-O brand pudding mix is great in cake mixes.

LOL, gelatin doesn't belong in cake mix. icon_biggrin.gif

AmyGonzalez Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 8:56pm
post #16 of 39

icon_lol.gif Cakepro icon_lol.gif

Point taken. icon_biggrin.gif

cakesbymindysue Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 9:29pm
post #17 of 39

I use Jell-O, as in the gelatin, in an angle food cake. I got the recipe from my MIL. You mix the batter like normal, reserving about a cup, put half of the batter in the pan, mix the cup of batter with about a quarter of a large box of gelatin (any flavor, but we like strawberry) and put that in the pan making a ring in the batter that's already in there. Put the rest of the batter on top and bake like normal. To ice it mix the remaining gelatin with Cool Whip and spread on the cake. Since it will need to be refrigerated with the Cool Whip on it, it makes for a nice summer treat.

My MIL has only made this with strawberry, but I've experimented with orange and lemon. Lemon was good, orange not so much.

AmyGonzalez Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 9:37pm
post #18 of 39

cakesbymindysue,

your MIL's recipe sounds yumo! icon_biggrin.gif I love lemon, so i'll have to try it sometime. I would still like to try lemon jello in lemon cake. icon_lol.gif I don't know, I just have that in my head. icon_rolleyes.gif

Amy729 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 9:43pm
post #19 of 39

There is a strawberry cake recipe on here that uses a white cake mix with strawberry jello and it is yummmm...

Cakepro Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 9:46pm
post #20 of 39

Freaky! I figured the gelatin would bind up the cake and make it rubbery.

Maybe I will try it sometime. icon_smile.gif

AmyGonzalez Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 9:59pm
post #21 of 39

I just did a search in the recipe section and found a couple of recipes that use jello. Of course I'll have to use lemon. icon_lol.gif I am so craving lemon cake now! My mouth is watering! icon_cry.gif

stlcakelady Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 10:10pm
post #22 of 39

I used to make a wonderful lemon cake from scratch but it was tedious. One day I decided to use frozen lemonade in the can. Take a can of the lemonade and let it defrost to room temp (I put it in the microwave in a bowl). Then measure out one cup of the lemonade. DO NOT DILUTE WITH WATER! Then use that cup of the concentrate, 1 white cake mix, 1 stick of butter or margarine (melted) and 4 eggs. It is excellent and no one can tell the difference between that and my scratch cake. I LOVE IT!

MacsMom Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 10:23pm
post #23 of 39

A great cake is made using melted ice-cream in place of water!

I usually use coffee creamer in place of water, but I have two recipes I came up with (well, modified WASC) using melted orange sherbet and melted pineapple sherbet, respectively, and they were so moist and nummy.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 10:36pm
post #24 of 39

Another way to use jello in cake is to pour the liquid jello onto the cooled cake. Poke holes in it and then pour it on there. Put it in the fridge and let it set fo about 3 hours. top with whipped topping. SO GOOD! I think that came from the kraft magazines I get every so often....will double check.

BoothsBest Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 10:52pm
post #25 of 39

I use strawberry jello in my strawberry cake all of the time. My customers love it. I also put strawberry preserves between the layers as a filling.

BTW I love the idea of using the melted ice cream or sherbert. I will have to try that! (Totally off topic, but has anyone tried lime sherbert mixed with orange juice? Makes a great punch, to drink)

MacsMom Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 10:59pm
post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoothsBest

(Totally off topic, but has anyone tried lime sherbert mixed with orange juice? Makes a great punch, to drink)

That's actually a great idea for a margarita cake!

AmyGonzalez Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:08pm
post #27 of 39

MacsMom,

I just did a theme magarita cake. This would have been great as the flavor! Darn! icon_mad.gif Next time I guess! icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:17pm
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

A great cake is made using melted ice-cream in place of water!

I usually use coffee creamer in place of water, but I have two recipes I came up with (well, modified WASC) using melted orange sherbet and melted pineapple sherbet, respectively, and they were so moist and nummy.

Melted Ice Cream??? icon_eek.gif Goodness, I'll have to try that! I can honestly say I haven't thought of that before. Sounds good. Thanks for sharing! icon_biggrin.gif

girlinspired Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:33pm
post #29 of 39

Hi - I made and orange flavored cake using a yellow cake mix, replacing the water with OJ and adding 2 Tbsp zest. It came out good. Smelled awesome!

jennym0904 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:27am
post #30 of 39

thanks for the recipe cakepro!
icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%