Wedding Cake Help!

Decorating By sfunky67 Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 8:19pm by Danielle111

sfunky67 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:41am
post #1 of 21

My first wedding cake order is next week. It will be three tiers - 16", 12" and 8". Now, here is my question....when you make wedding cakes, do you make two of each layer and fill between? Do you torte them in addition to that? It seems the cake would be super tall, but some of the pictures in the gallery are really tall layers. I can easily make the single layers and torte them, but will it be enough cake for 150 people? The bride wants large pieces. Can anyone please advise? Thanks so much...this site is incredible! icon_smile.gif

20 replies
Artice1970 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 3:14am
post #2 of 21

I work in a grocery stores' bakery department as a cake decorator. The lead cake decorator makes the wedding cakes but I have seen him use three layers per tier and they looked massive. For a class project I torted two layers and they were very tall. So I believe you could go either way with it. Please keep in mind that the layers I made for my class project was in a 3 inch high pans so these layers were already large. I hope this information helps you and I wish you the best. I hope to take that leap of faith like you and sell my first wedding cake. thumbs_up.gif

gr8_seamstress Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:16am
post #3 of 21

You can just fill 2 layers, or torte the 2 layers and fill them. I like to torte my cakes, I think it makes them extra special.

bcake1960 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:40am
post #4 of 21

I prefer to use 2 layers 2" layers and I tort as well It is a nice look when the cake is cut. I tort 1 of the layers into 2. Place one of those on the board then place the full 2nd layer on the thin torted layer and then top with the 2nd torted thin layer it will look like thin, thick, and thin.. your layers should be at least 4 inches think.. ImO. However some people use 3" pans, Its a matter of preference... Also for servings there are serving charts online or in the Wilton Yearbook or online at wilton.com check a serving chart for more accurate servings per layer.. I have always had good luck with Wiltons Wedding cake chart... Besure to use the Wedding Cake chart.. or your servings will be off.. HTH icon_wink.gif And Good luck!!

auntiecake Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:57am
post #5 of 21

If the bride wants big pieces you will definitely need two layers per tier. With layers that size you will get approx 182 wedding cake size pieces. They measure 1x2x4 and is a nice size, but not big. This is what Wilton says that size will serve at least pretty close to it. If they want to save the top tier then it would be 24 pieces less. Good luck and have fun w/your first wedding cake.

lisa78332 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 5:23am
post #6 of 21

When you say big, do you mean tallness or width? Does she want to serve wider pieces than the traditional size?

CakeRN Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 6:10am
post #7 of 21

Is she paying per slice and if she is are you using the standard serving size to price your cake. In otherwords if your bride says she wants big pieces of cake ( like 2x the size of regular wedding slice) then you should charge her for that. So if she needs cake for 150 people and big pieces which translates out to 300 then you charge her for 300 servings or what ever the cake servings come out to. So if you are charging 3.00 pr serving then it should be a 900 dollar cake.

kakeladi Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 7:04am
post #8 of 21

1st off forget that the bride wants big pieces. A cake that size should serve 156 - use Wilton's chart; the pieces are 1x2x4. This is how a decorator should calcuate servings and how your pricing should be calcuated. If the customer wants to serve larger pieces then they should buy a larger cake! Why should you put out more expense just because they want more? Let them pay for what they get. If you went into a resturant and asked for a double hamburger because you want a bigger serving would they charge you for a regular hamburger? No they would charge for the doubleicon_smile.gif
A wedding cake tier should be made up of two 2" layers with filling between them. It if up to you if you want to torte those layers & use 3 layers of filling.....some decorators do, some don't. You will NOT have enough cake for 150 people using only one 2" layer tored or not.
After having a couple of mishaps w/cakes that I had torted I stopped offering that and they got only one layer of filling between the two layers of cake.

miny Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 8:13am
post #9 of 21

Kakeladi, what do you mean with mishaps with torted layers?, and why don't you recomend it?, sorry for the questioning icon_redface.gif but I'd like to learn from you too.

sfunky67 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:24pm
post #10 of 21

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. I have the Wilton round wedding pan set, which is 3" deep. I think I will make 2 - 3" layers of 16", 12" and 8" cakes, which should be plenty. I may just fill between the cakes, otherwise I will have 4 layers per cake, which seems like a lot. I am going to need a LOT of frosting, that's for sure! Happily, this cake is for a friend of the family, and they are really not fussy about the design. I know it will taste good, but with the weather so hot and humid (Wisconsin) it is nervewracking. I of course have been not sleeping for a week just worrying about it! Having the support and advice from all you you will help me greatly. I"ll post pictures next week. Thanks again!!!

auntiecake Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:48am
post #11 of 21

If your layers are 3" high I would only do 2 layers and fill between them. That will make it almost 7" Most cakes in pictures are 4-5 inches tall. A lot of wedding cake pans are only 2 " and if you use a 3" pan you could get by with 1 layer especially if you torte it. It will then be 4" high. 3-2" layers is even pretty high and you do see that some. There is a special section (Wilton) for servings for 3" hight layers and I think they are one layer, but not sure. Just my thoughts from my experience. I am sure whatever you do it will be beautiful. Remember a wedding cake is just several small cakes put together. That makes it less imtimidating. Good Luck!

sfunky67 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:03pm
post #12 of 21

Thank you so much for your kind encouragement...I have all of my shopping done and am ready to roll on Friday! Thanks again!

leah_s Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:20pm
post #13 of 21

Ready to roll on Friday? If this is for a Saturday wedding, that cake needs to be baked today, wrapped well and put in the freezer overnight to lock in the moisture and to make it easier to handle during stacking. You need to fill and let it sit, wrapped for at least 12 hours (24 is even better) to settle before you frost and decorate. All decorating should be completed Friday night. Saturday morning is for repairing things and delivery.

Also, caterers provide 5" or 6" dessert plates (usually) for serving and expect a wedding cake to be 4"-4.5" tall so that it will fit on the plate.

SweetResults Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:40pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Quote:

Also, caterers provide 5" or 6" dessert plates (usually) for serving and expect a wedding cake to be 4"-4.5" tall so that it will fit on the plate.

OMG - can't believe I never thought of that!

akgirl10 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:40pm
post #15 of 21

Leah's right, if the wedding is this weekend you should be baking today. I like a torted cake, I think it looks much prettier and special when cut, fitting for a wedding.

sfunky67 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:44pm
post #16 of 21

Leah, thank you so much for your wise advice! I got right into the kitchen and started baking. Of course, the first 16" cake turned out a little crooked, so I re-baked it! The 12" layer turned out beautifully, but I didn't have time for the 8" before I had to leave for work. I wrapped the cakes in plastic wrap and popped them in the freezer. I will follow your advice and fill them tomorrow and wrap them well in plastic wrap, then get to decorating on Friday. One thing I have learned is that I know why cakes are so expensive!!! It is a LOT of work and the ingredients/supplies have me in for almost $100.00! It is fun though, and certainly a challenge. Many thanks for all of your help!

akgirl10 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:54pm
post #17 of 21

Good luck, post a picture when it's finished!

aswartzw Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:55pm
post #18 of 21

I think wedding cakes should have 4 layers of cake with 3 layers filling. It makes it look much more formal and it's really easy to do, plus it gives it a very professional look. I vote for you baking 1 layer of each in a 3 layer pan and torting 3 times. It will work fine that way.

I use 2" pans and bake 2 layers and torte each layer once.

suz3 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:59pm
post #19 of 21

I just did my first wedding cake. I know what you mean about not sleeping. I had to take mine 50 miles to deliver. It went fine. I made double layers and torted inbetween. Good luck on your cake.

DMCG Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:06pm
post #20 of 21

I would definetly torte and fill, so that there are 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling. That way it not only looks nice, but there is a nice ratio of icing to cake.
If you don't torte, the cake layers will be larger than the fillings.

HTH!
Good luck
Danielle

Danielle111 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:19pm
post #21 of 21

I definitely agree that the layers should be torted for a wedding cake, as it lends a more professional look, plus it gives the client the opportunity to mix and match filling flavors like alternating pastry cream and raspberry puree. icon_smile.gif

Also - make sure that your filling layers are even and the same thickness across the board... ...a while back I had someone complain to me that there was one filling layer which was thicker than the other, and she said that it didn't plate well. The things people complain about!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%