Consistency For Wilton Buttercream Filling?

Decorating By sweet_2th_fairy Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 3:26pm by sweet_2th_fairy

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:37am
post #1 of 6

I would like to use the Wilton buttercream frosting recipe for filling, but what consistency should it be? Stiff? Medium? Thin? Also, if I wanted to make a strawberry or raspberry flavored buttercream filling, how much fruit preserves do I add? Any specific brand that you recommend?

5 replies
tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:48am
post #2 of 6

Not sure about the fruit t, hing (I've done it but didn't measure an amount).

As for the BC filling, use a super stiff BC for the icing dam around the outside of the filling - stiff enough that you can almost knead it like dough. The actual filling could be a medium consistency. As long as the dam is thick, the consistency of the actual fill-in icing doesn't have to be super thick.

mamaauntjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamaauntjan Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 5:24am
post #3 of 6

I agree with Tracy's consistancy recommendations. If you add fruit preserves start with a stiff frosting and thin it with the preserves. I think there is one called Simple Fruit that is pretty good. Sometimes if I want the fruit flavor, with out the actual fruit, I'll use fruit flavored extracts or oils. You should be able to find Raspberry and Strawberry at a regular grocery store. Hope that helps

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 5:55am
post #4 of 6

I aggree with both about the consistency. The other thing you can do for the dam is to add some cake cutting to your buttercream it's then called mortar and it's wonderfull to keep the shape of your cake.

I forgot to do that today and we will see how my 4 year olds cake does tomorrow.

For the fruit preserves. start with the approximate amount of BC you need and then add a tbsp at a time until you like the flavor and color.

Good Luck.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:03pm
post #5 of 6

When using icing as the filling, I just use the same icing that I cover the cake with. Same consistency for the outside, for the dam, for the filling.

When adding fruit, I use the sleeve fillings and add enough "until it looks right".

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 6

Ok, thank you all for your advice. I plan on trying it next week. Now I just have to make up my mind about what flavor to do!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%