How Do I Curl The End Of Rolled Fondant

Decorating By lalakanosho Updated 20 Jul 2008 , 3:00am by melysa

lalakanosho Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:42am
post #1 of 10

I have recently seen a cake that had a mardi gras theme to it and on the top layer it looked like they had double covered it with fondant and cut the ends of the top layer in triangles and curled them upward. i was wanting to recreat this effect of a cake of my own and wanted to know if anybody knew the technique.

9 replies
fondantgrl Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:57am
post #2 of 10

Can you post a sample of what you saw ?

beachcakes Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 10

Without seeing it, my first thought would be that the triangles were cut separately, allowed to dry on a form and reattached.

alanahodgson Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 1:31am
post #4 of 10

Is something like this what you are referring to?

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=389023

I'd like to know how she did this to. You could send a PM to either the person who made the cake you saw, or to Melysa who made this one and ask them.....then tell usicon_smile.gif

lalakanosho Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:23am
post #5 of 10

that's exactly what I was talking about. I sent her a message so I guess we'll see

jjkarm Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:42am
post #6 of 10

If you look at the comments under her cake, she describes how she curled up the edges. It may help answer your questions in case you don't hear from her right away. icon_smile.gif

lalakanosho Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:52am
post #7 of 10

thanks, I new to the website and I guess I'm still learning my way around it.

alanahodgson Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:55am
post #8 of 10

hee hee.....I guess I've not read them! Thanks for the tip!

jjkarm Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:59am
post #9 of 10

No problem....everyone was new once too!!! thumbs_up.gif

melysa Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 3:00am
post #10 of 10

lalakanosho, i've just replied to your pm.

here is another that i did like that, but with an added snail trail border painted with s uper p earl d ust. i loved how it turned out http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=266523 . i believe i learned the technique of curling the fondant by another member here , tutugirl, a couple of years ago.

simple technique, just curl up with a dowel, straw or pencil a couple of times (go around the cake once, and then a second time) and it should start to hold its shape. thats it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%