I Need Help! Huge Baby Shower Cake!!

Decorating By pinkbiz Updated 10 Aug 2008 , 7:00am by Bakingangel

pinkbiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbiz Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:36am
post #1 of 26

so i have to do my SIL babyshower cake... she asked me to so there is gonna be atleast 200 guest... she wants it square so i figured out a 14, 11, 8, and 6..... ok so the problem is that her sister which is planning the baby shower is very picky and she was asking me how i was going to do the cake and i told her i was gonna put some butterflies hangign on wires later on on the day she asked me if they sold those already made and we asked her why she was aking that because i was going to do them anyways and she just made a face.. personally i was a lil offended because i guess she doens't believe in my skills.. a lil contrary to what she usually says anyways soo i want to prove her wrong beacuse i know i can make it just as well .... but i need help is there any tutorials i need to to hang on wires!! please help!!

25 replies
danijus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danijus Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:31am
post #2 of 26

First off let me say your cakes are beautiful. I see you've done several cakes with decorations on wires so I'm not sure what you need a tutorial for.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:32am
post #3 of 26

It's pretty simple...use floral wire thick enough to support the weight of what you're making. Roll your fondant thick enough that you can insert the wire into it, cut your shape, and then moisten the end of the wire with egg white or heat it in a candle flame, and insert the wire into the shape. Let it dry flat for a day or two. If it's very thick you may have to turn it over so the back can dry too.

When you buy the wire, you should buy a pair of wire cutters too so you don't dull your kitchen shears trying to cut it. If you want, you can wind the wire around a dowel to make it curly.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 26

I agree with previous two posts.

1. Agree with danijus that your cakes are great - so you don't need to question your skills. You don't need ANY tutorials.

2. Texas_Rose's suggestions are excellent....I'm writing them down now!

We have a long time friend. One time we said something and she scrunched her nose up like...eww, you are SO beneath me. Ever since, then my dear darling wonderful husband calls her "crinkle nose"....and we have a good laugh.

So get to work - show her your good stuff - and silence that crinkle nose!

Good luck!

pinkbiz Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 26

thanks for the help girls... i was asking about the tutorials because i want the butterfly to have the wings like kinda folded not completly flat so it looks like its flying here is the plate of the theme for the baby shower
LL

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 1:12am
post #6 of 26

after you cut out the butterfly shape and insert your wire, fold the wings up slightly and put tissue or cotton balls under them, then let dry.

Jo

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 1:57am
post #7 of 26

Have you checked the tutorial in the articles section on making a butterfly out of rice paper?

YAYI95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YAYI95 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:17am
post #8 of 26

i made some butterflies out of fondant for my DD birthday and I used cookie cutters to cut them out. i got a piece of card stock and folded it like an accordian and laid the butterlies side ways along each fold so the wings looked as if they were flying...for the ones i put wires in i laid on top of fold and put wire in and allowed to dry that way..hth

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:17am
post #9 of 26

Your cakes are beautiful, another way to hold up the butterfly wings is a "flower holder" or a tube of papertowel with about 1/3 cut off so you are left with a "C" shape. then lay your little bg on a parchment or wax paper to dry in the "C" shape.

I also like the rice/potator paper idea, you can color with food color markers or pain on the colors and you could also use a tiny whole punch to make little wholes to match the patern on the plate. It would be really daintie.

Good Luck.

armywife99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife99 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:32am
post #10 of 26

here is the link to a discussion on making royal icing butterflies...

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5930429.html#5930429

HTH

usaribbon.gif Jenn usaribbon.gif

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:16am
post #11 of 26

200 guests for a baby shower.....holy crap!!!

pinkbiz Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:10am
post #12 of 26

yes i know!!! they are inviting everyone that did not get to go to the wedding!!

pinkbiz Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:11am
post #13 of 26

i love that idea of cutting the papertowel roll!

pinkbiz Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:13am
post #14 of 26

oh by the way i gave her the idea of making a "mini" her and i had never done fondant people! i was soo scared but i decided to try it today and this is what i got hope you guys like it
LL

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:16am
post #15 of 26

Wow you did an excellent job!!

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:42am
post #16 of 26

Good luck! Be sure to post the completed cake. I'm sure you'll wow them all at the shower.

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:44am
post #17 of 26

You're work is BEAUTIFUL! You are SO talented!... And you're first try at fondant people? WOW!!! icon_eek.gif I can't wait to see this baby shower cake!

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 5:29pm
post #18 of 26

you did do a great job with that figure, youll be fine doing this cake, and as a side note i was holding my 2yr old while reading your post and she pointed at the figure and said " a mommy" she knew it was a mommy so everyone else definately will.

pinkbiz Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:15pm
post #19 of 26

omg i amm soo pissed im telling you im about to say i am not doing this cake!!! "the sister" just saw the pic cause i told her to check online and she is like it came out good its just that the mouth looks weird!!! omg are u kidding me!! i mean i really shouldn't listen to her because i know my skills but it just bothers me!! plain and simple if any more pronblems come up im just telling them i am not doing it... fisrt of all i didn't even offer myself she asked me too... 2nd the cake is freee.. i'm doing it for free and they are getting soo picky.. i swear ....I AM SOO MAD

pinkbiz Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:15pm
post #20 of 26

omg i amm soo pissed im telling you im about to say i am not doing this cake!!! "the sister" just saw the pic cause i told her to check online and she is like it came out good its just that the mouth looks weird!!! omg are u kidding me!! i mean i really shouldn't listen to her because i know my skills but it just bothers me!! plain and simple if any more pronblems come up im just telling them i am not doing it... fisrt of all i didn't even offer myself she asked me too... 2nd the cake is freee.. i'm doing it for free and they are getting soo picky.. i swear ....I AM SOO MAD i don't know if im being sensitive but...

trichardson1229 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trichardson1229 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 7:29pm
post #21 of 26

Pinkbiz, the cake is not for the sister it's for your SIL. So it's not about her or what she wants. Take what she says with a grain of salt, let it go in one ear and out the other. As long as your SIL is happy that's all that matter.
Stop stressing over her it will only effect the out come of your cake. I'm sure your cake will be terrific.
Some people just like to be a pain in the you know what.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:01pm
post #22 of 26

From here on out I think you should just tell SIL's sister that the cake is a suprise and you won't give any more details out. Just let her know that it will match the party theme and that it'll be great - just like all of your other cakes!

Good luck!

pinkbiz Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 10:39pm
post #23 of 26

thanks girls for all the support but you don't know this girl lol she is 17 and bossy!! and im bossy and hard headed too soo its not good! these are my boyfriends sisters soo i really don't care if they get mad im just going to do the cake how i want because after all im paying for it and its gonna cost me a bunch of money because its going to be all fondant! this is just disaster from the beggining thats what i get for loving to plan parties.. 1st the mother of the dad makes cakes also.(but personally i don't like them and my SIL either) so she asked me to make it and now that lady hates me... whatever!!!! and the sister is also going to be the "godmother" so she believes that she needs to be in control of all of this even though she isn't really paying a darn thing sooo im really frustrated i wish i was just a regular guest that gets to buy a gift at babies r us and eat food!! im really trying to get less involved as possible but its a lil impossible in their eyes in a " party planner"( i do love it) soo ill keep you guys posted the babyshower is August 9th

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:10am
post #24 of 26

Where is Indydebi when you need her? Like she says, if you're making the cake for free, you make the decisions. if someone wants to put in their two cents, send them a bill! That is a lot of cake for a freebie, you are so sweet to offer that. But I do agree, your gift should be kept secret from here on out.

I can't wait to see the picture!

pinkbiz Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 11:07pm
post #25 of 26

here is the final outcome!!!!!
LL

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 7:00am
post #26 of 26

Great work! You nailed the party theme. It is very pretty! I bet everyone loved it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%