Is This The Right Glycerin?

Decorating By TyeRiley Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 1:48am by Texas_Rose

TyeRiley Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:16pm
post #1 of 6

I'm wanting to make Michele Foster's Fondant. So I went to the store and bought glycerin. The bottle says to dilute it with water and to use it as a skin protectant for chapped lips ect. It doesn't say that it's an edible product at all.
It says glycerin right on the label, but is this the right thing?
Thanks.

5 replies
farmom3 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 6

mine from wilton and it says Restores consistency of icing colors.
I hope it's help

alanahodgson Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 6

I use the glycerin from the pharmacy for my fondant. There's conflicting information about its "food saftey". I've read on a website that reported research on the topic that if it says U.S.P. that it not harmful to consume.

Some person who posted in these forums who says they are a scientist says its harmful if does not say that it's edible.

jjkarm Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 6

I thought there were 2 different types of glycerin- One kind is used when making things like soap and hand lotion (non-edible). The other kind is used when cooking or baking (edible). icon_confused.gif

weirkd Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 6

I buy the brand from CK products which you find in the cake stores. I think it might be the same thing because I have heard of people buying it at a pharmacy. Its an oil so I can see it being added to soap and other things to soften the skin.

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:48am
post #6 of 6

I buy it at Sun Harvest in a 16oz bottle and it says that it can be diluted and used on the skin. It also says that it can be used as a sweetener in beverages.

Before I bought that one, I bought one with a spanish label from CVS that said USP but it didn't say it was edible anywhere, so I chickened out on using it. I have a feeling it was exactly the same stuff, though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%