I Need Help Asap!!! Fondant Bulging!

Decorating By toodlesjupiter Updated 20 Jul 2008 , 11:43pm by toodlesjupiter

toodlesjupiter Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 9

Hey everyone-
I am in the process of doing a cake for tomorrow. It's fondant covered. Well one of the layers that I covered, then did a diamond impression on looked fine, then as it sat the fondant got a big bulge on the side and top. It is like a big air pocket between the fondant and buttercream. I was able to re-smooth the top (I poked a pin to release the air), but the side is kind of cracking where the diamond impression is. Why did this do this, and how do I stop it from happening again? I'm scared to try to peel it off and redo it, only to have it happen again. Could it be because I put the fondant on a chilled cake? Any help would be appreciated!

8 replies
mcelromi1 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 9

It's from moisture being traped with no way to excape. It's called a blowout.
You should always let a chilled cake come to room teperature before icing or covering with fondant.

toodlesjupiter Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you! I have only done a few fondant cakes and they were during winter where there wasn't such a drastic change in temp. I thought I had read somewhere to chill before putting on the fondant to keep the BC from smooshing too much. Live and learn.

loriemoms Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcelromi1

It's from moisture being traped with no way to excape. It's called a blowout.
You should always let a chilled cake come to room teperature before icing or covering with fondant.

I always cover my cakes with fondant after being in the fridge. Are you talking about a frozen cake?

MacsMom Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 9

As you smooth the fondant over the cake, always start with the top first then smooth the sides downwards, gently.

If the BC was cold the fondant probably didn't stick to it, so it released from the side of the cake and air became trapped. When I take my cakes from the fridge I warm the BC with my hands before applying the fondant.

If the fondant is cracking - are you using Satin Ice? SI dries too hard and too fast compared to MMF. Can that area be called the "backside"? Perhaps try using an exacto blade to trim the rough edges and dab water inside the cut to try to stick it back together? It's probably easier to just re-do it.

loriemoms Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:12pm
post #6 of 9

another idea is to lightly spray your bc with a mist of water if its crusted and cold...it does sound more like it wasn't sticking....

toodlesjupiter Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 9

Thank yo all for your replies... I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to reply yesterday. I was getting the the cake done and delivered, then attended the wedding. I still, chilled my cake, but let it sit at room temp for a bit longer than i usually do before placing the fondant on it. This one worked perfectly. I got so many compliments on the cake, so it made my week of disasters all worth it in the end. Thank you all again for taking the time to help me out.

Malakin Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 8:35pm
post #8 of 9

I think possibly you may be talking about flash freezing your BC covered cake to make it firm enough to hold up to the fondant. I don't refrigerate it, I only put it in the freezer for approx. 8-10 min. right before applying the fondant.

toodlesjupiter Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:43pm
post #9 of 9

Malakin-
I've actually done it both ways, but never had any trouble until this time, and only on one tier(out of four). I got to thinking afterward, that I put ribbon around the bottom, and maybe since it was chilled the ribbon didn't allow the air to escape at the bottom, causing the blowout? I don't know. That was the only thing I did differently, and that is the first one I've ever had a problem with. What do you think?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%