Quick Fruit Preserves Question...

Decorating By aprilcake Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 6:01am by gateaux

aprilcake Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 7

quick question...

i am making an 8, 12, 16 square tiered wedding cake tonight and decorating tomorrow. The 8 inch tier is going to have strawberry preserves in the middle and the 12 inch tier is going to have raspberry preserves in the middle. I have not used preserves with such a large cake yet. I want to make sure and put enough in so they can see and taste it but not too much in. I am nervous of the preserves making the two layers slide....is that a fear that could happen or am I just thinking it up? Please help me figure out how much of preserves I should put in between the tiers and if there is anything extra I need to do to make sure the tiers wont slide or do anything else because of the preserves...thanks so much!

April :0)

6 replies
tiptop57 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 7

You are not using raspberry or strawberry buttercream....she says as she scratches her head. Did the couple get a sample taste and did they agree to just preserves? In my world, which is a very strange place icon_lol.gif the filling is as thick as a torted layer of cake - - - as I do torte all cakes and people love-love-love my filings.

Sorry I can't help with preserves, but can offer advice for next time.

For my fruit fillings, I use Rose Levy Bernabaum [sp?] Neo-classical Buttercream with concentrated fruit puree added. I make a raspberry or strawberry puree by boiling down the juice & strained pulp and adding sugar and a maybe some lemon juice. This puree is very concentrated so when you add it to the buttercream your buttercream does not get watery.

The Neoclassical buttercream I make uses straight egg yolks, that I saved from the IMBC buttercream I made for the frosting. So I don't end up wasting any eggs.

My estimated charts for how much frosting I need for a 3" cake (including filling) is as follows:
6" = 3.5 cups
7"= 4.0 cups
8"= 4.5 cups
9"= 5.25 cups
10" = 6 cups
11" = 6.75 cups
12" = 7.5 cups
13" = 8.5 cups
14" = 9.5 cups
15" = 10.25 cups
16" = 11 cups

Then to keep it from sliding I always use dowels especially when I stack my cakes.

aprilcake Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:51am
post #3 of 7

yeah, kind of weird that she wants just preserves in the middle...i would think it would be good mixed with buttercream? but that is what they want and no they didnt sample that, they sampled other fillings but not those. I thought a lot of people use preserves for fillings? am I wrong?

costumeczar Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:49am
post #4 of 7

This is probably too late to help you, but I use preserves alone sometimes, but usually in combination with flavored buttercreams in torted cakes. I always do a THIN layer of the preserves, since too much can make the layers slide. I don't do a really thick layer of buttercream fillings, either, though.

Sometimes peope ask for a pound cake with just the preserves and no buttercream fillings. That's usually the time that I find they want the preserves alone, but I agree that it is a little unusual when they don't want buttercream.

ChocolateGirl Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:00am
post #5 of 7

I am flipping a coin between strawberry preserves-type filling and strawberry puree added to buttercream tonight, too. Do either of these fillings need to be refrigerated, or will they be okay for 14 hours at room temperature sealed under fondant?
Enquiring minds want to know. icon_smile.gif

aprilcake Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 5:32am
post #6 of 7

What I might do is add a thin layer of preserves and then maybe another layer of buttercream over top? would that be as worse or more than just a thick layer of preserves? I am filling the cakes tomorrow. I was thinking of doing a dam around the tier with buttercream and inside the dam, put the thin layer of preserves and then possibly some more buttercream on top?

gateaux Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 6:01am
post #7 of 7

preserves make everything slide... been there done thatn. If you use mortar for your dam and put 4 or 6 little mortar pillar here and there you will have more stability.

Mortar: 1 part cake crumb from cake leveling and 1 part buttercream. you can also make it 1 part cake crumbs and 2 parts buttercream.

It's very solid and complements the cake very well.

Just as long as its not a Big Surprise for the bride.

Good Luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%