Need Cake Filling Ideas

Decorating By chillysmommy Updated 20 Jul 2008 , 7:09am by ceshell

chillysmommy Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 17

Taking a survey to see what the best cake filling is... what you've used that got the most rave reviews. I'm looking to make a fondant TT cake with chocolate cake on bottom tier and vanilla for the top two, and of course I want the filling to be notable! Not sure if I should keep it simple and just use BC, or go with something else. I need some suggestions cause I haven't done a whole lot of this! Refrigeration might not be available, but I'd like to hear from everyone either way. Thanks!

16 replies
MelenaPrincess Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 17

Probably not what you are looking for with a chocolate cake, but if you ever need something quick and easy you can use Smucker's Spreadable Fruit. It's in with the jelly at your grocery store and I have used the strawberry with a white chocolate pound cake and gotten rave reviews. I have picked up a few jars to have on hand when I need something quick.

SUELA Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 17

My favorite was a canned almond I picked up in the States. i can't remember the name but it had a nice almond taste. I often use pudding cups, and you could add flavour to those. No issue not refrigerating.

sugarplumfairycanada Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 17

If you want a versatile filling that can be change easily is swiss meringe buttercream. You can make a batch then portion off amounts to add different flavours to. Chocolate, praline, mocha, raspberry, fruit puree or cream cheese. I am going to do this for a wedding cake that has vanilla cake, chocolate and marble tiers. I've mixed in strawberry and everyone just loved it.

Zahrah Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 17

By far, my peanut butter mousse. I cream the PB and fold it into ready-made Philadephia cheese cake filling that you get in the tub. Pairs well with Devils Food chocolate cake

PinkZiab Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 17

My favorite, by FAR (and everyone goes NUTS for it) is my pistachio cream filling. Pair it with a chocolate cake and it's to DIE for! If you'd like the recipe PM me and I'll get it to you later... it's a little involved, but sooooooo worth it!

chillysmommy Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 17

sugarplumfairy: how much of the different flavor would I add? I guess, what consistency should it be? Won't it loosen up too much? I had strawberry in mind but would I add strawberry jelly or something. Or the spreadable fruit that Melena suggested?

Thanks everyone for your input. They all sound wonderful. Keep 'em comin'!

krystyne_wilson Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 17

Just a thought, I don't know who the cake is for, but some people don't care for fruit fillings. So I suggest using the pudding cups or some type of icing, not the fruit filling...just an idea icon_wink.gif

sugarplumfairycanada Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 9:50pm
post #9 of 17

I use Martha stewarts SMBC which makes 9 cups of icing. In my The Confetti Cakes Cookbook it says to add the additions after the butter and vanilla are added.
Choc :1/2cup or 4 0z of melted semisweet (58%) choc add in steady stream while mixing on low. Choc must be cooled or it will melt the BC.
Praline: 1/2 cup or 4 oz of praline paste in small additions on low speed. Once incorporated, turn your mixer to high speed for one minute.
Mocha: 1/4cup or 2 0z of strong cold coffe and 1/4cup or 2 0z melted and cooled 58% semisweet choc eash in a slow steady stream while mixing on low speed.
Raspberry: 1/2 cup or 4 oz of seedless raspberry puree. I have used strawberry, mango, etc.
Cream Cheese: add 1 cup or 8 oz softened cream cheese.

I know martha has recipes for coconut SMBC that sound really yummy too.

HTH

peg91170 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:34am
post #10 of 17

I recently made a chocolate cake with coconut cream filling and everybody just died over it. I had people tell me that they usually aren't fans of coconut but LOVED this filling. I found the recipe here, using cream of coconut.

jennym0904 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:54am
post #11 of 17

peg91170-could you direct me to that recipe?? icon_smile.gif

jennym0904 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:58am
post #12 of 17

i usually make some version of chocolate ganache and raspberry jam with fresh raspberries- it's my husband's FAVORITE!

i've also become a big fan of bavarian cream with ANY cake- i make my own so it's not something that you want to leave out in the heat or for any extended period of time. It is so delicious and creamy. icon_smile.gif

peg91170 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:09am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennym0904

i usually make some version of chocolate ganache and raspberry jam with fresh raspberries- it's my husband's FAVORITE!

i've also become a big fan of bavarian cream with ANY cake- i make my own so it's not something that you want to leave out in the heat or for any extended period of time. It is so delicious and creamy. icon_smile.gif

Here it is Jennifer.

I just love this filling, it complements the coconut cream frosting well!
1- 14oz bag of sweetened flaked coconut
1/4 cup cream of coconut (I personally used the whole can)
3 cups half and half or milk
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 tablespoons cornstarch
6 tablespoons butter
3/4 teaspoon coconut extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
Process flaked coconut and cream of coconut in a food processor until finely chopped, stopping to scrape down the sides. Bring half and half, sugar, and cornstarch to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until thickened. SWtir in coconut mixture, butter, extract, and salt. Cover and chill for 8 hours.

saap1204 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:23am
post #14 of 17

I love whipped ganache as a filling. Also, Toba Garrett's French Vanilla Buttercream makes a great filling.

chillysmommy Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 3:37am
post #15 of 17

You all are great! Thanks for all the ideas and the recipes. It helps me a ton! More are welcome!

jennym0904 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 6:05pm
post #16 of 17

yum!
thank you peg91170!!

ceshell Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 7:09am
post #17 of 17

Don't be afraid to go totally wild! I filled a vanilla cake with caramelized bananas and whipped (dark) chocolate ganache (both placed in the same filling layer; I used the ganache as a dam too). WOWEE!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%