Need Cake Filling Ideas

Decorating By chillysmommy Updated 20 Jul 2008 , 7:09am by ceshell

chillysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chillysmommy Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 17

Taking a survey to see what the best cake filling is... what you've used that got the most rave reviews. I'm looking to make a fondant TT cake with chocolate cake on bottom tier and vanilla for the top two, and of course I want the filling to be notable! Not sure if I should keep it simple and just use BC, or go with something else. I need some suggestions cause I haven't done a whole lot of this! Refrigeration might not be available, but I'd like to hear from everyone either way. Thanks!

16 replies
MelenaPrincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelenaPrincess Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 17

Probably not what you are looking for with a chocolate cake, but if you ever need something quick and easy you can use Smucker's Spreadable Fruit. It's in with the jelly at your grocery store and I have used the strawberry with a white chocolate pound cake and gotten rave reviews. I have picked up a few jars to have on hand when I need something quick.

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 17

My favorite was a canned almond I picked up in the States. i can't remember the name but it had a nice almond taste. I often use pudding cups, and you could add flavour to those. No issue not refrigerating.

sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 17

If you want a versatile filling that can be change easily is swiss meringe buttercream. You can make a batch then portion off amounts to add different flavours to. Chocolate, praline, mocha, raspberry, fruit puree or cream cheese. I am going to do this for a wedding cake that has vanilla cake, chocolate and marble tiers. I've mixed in strawberry and everyone just loved it.

Zahrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahrah Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 17

By far, my peanut butter mousse. I cream the PB and fold it into ready-made Philadephia cheese cake filling that you get in the tub. Pairs well with Devils Food chocolate cake

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 17

My favorite, by FAR (and everyone goes NUTS for it) is my pistachio cream filling. Pair it with a chocolate cake and it's to DIE for! If you'd like the recipe PM me and I'll get it to you later... it's a little involved, but sooooooo worth it!

chillysmommy Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 17

sugarplumfairy: how much of the different flavor would I add? I guess, what consistency should it be? Won't it loosen up too much? I had strawberry in mind but would I add strawberry jelly or something. Or the spreadable fruit that Melena suggested?

Thanks everyone for your input. They all sound wonderful. Keep 'em comin'!

krystyne_wilson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krystyne_wilson Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 17

Just a thought, I don't know who the cake is for, but some people don't care for fruit fillings. So I suggest using the pudding cups or some type of icing, not the fruit filling...just an idea icon_wink.gif

sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 9:50pm
post #9 of 17

I use Martha stewarts SMBC which makes 9 cups of icing. In my The Confetti Cakes Cookbook it says to add the additions after the butter and vanilla are added.
Choc :1/2cup or 4 0z of melted semisweet (58%) choc add in steady stream while mixing on low. Choc must be cooled or it will melt the BC.
Praline: 1/2 cup or 4 oz of praline paste in small additions on low speed. Once incorporated, turn your mixer to high speed for one minute.
Mocha: 1/4cup or 2 0z of strong cold coffe and 1/4cup or 2 0z melted and cooled 58% semisweet choc eash in a slow steady stream while mixing on low speed.
Raspberry: 1/2 cup or 4 oz of seedless raspberry puree. I have used strawberry, mango, etc.
Cream Cheese: add 1 cup or 8 oz softened cream cheese.

I know martha has recipes for coconut SMBC that sound really yummy too.

HTH

peg91170 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg91170 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:34am
post #10 of 17

I recently made a chocolate cake with coconut cream filling and everybody just died over it. I had people tell me that they usually aren't fans of coconut but LOVED this filling. I found the recipe here, using cream of coconut.

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:54am
post #11 of 17

peg91170-could you direct me to that recipe?? icon_smile.gif

jennym0904 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:58am
post #12 of 17

i usually make some version of chocolate ganache and raspberry jam with fresh raspberries- it's my husband's FAVORITE!

i've also become a big fan of bavarian cream with ANY cake- i make my own so it's not something that you want to leave out in the heat or for any extended period of time. It is so delicious and creamy. icon_smile.gif

peg91170 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg91170 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:09am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennym0904

i usually make some version of chocolate ganache and raspberry jam with fresh raspberries- it's my husband's FAVORITE!

i've also become a big fan of bavarian cream with ANY cake- i make my own so it's not something that you want to leave out in the heat or for any extended period of time. It is so delicious and creamy. icon_smile.gif

Here it is Jennifer.

I just love this filling, it complements the coconut cream frosting well!
1- 14oz bag of sweetened flaked coconut
1/4 cup cream of coconut (I personally used the whole can)
3 cups half and half or milk
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 tablespoons cornstarch
6 tablespoons butter
3/4 teaspoon coconut extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
Process flaked coconut and cream of coconut in a food processor until finely chopped, stopping to scrape down the sides. Bring half and half, sugar, and cornstarch to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until thickened. SWtir in coconut mixture, butter, extract, and salt. Cover and chill for 8 hours.

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:23am
post #14 of 17

I love whipped ganache as a filling. Also, Toba Garrett's French Vanilla Buttercream makes a great filling.

chillysmommy Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 3:37am
post #15 of 17

You all are great! Thanks for all the ideas and the recipes. It helps me a ton! More are welcome!

jennym0904 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 6:05pm
post #16 of 17

yum!
thank you peg91170!!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 7:09am
post #17 of 17

Don't be afraid to go totally wild! I filled a vanilla cake with caramelized bananas and whipped (dark) chocolate ganache (both placed in the same filling layer; I used the ganache as a dam too). WOWEE!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%