How Can I Get My Cake To Look Like This- Picture Included!

Decorating By alicia_froedge Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 12:27pm by CakeDiane

alicia_froedge Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 13

I have a care bears cake to do this weekend for a friend. I did a google image search for care bear cakes and this is one of them that I liked. It looks to me like its painted or airbrushed. Is that right? And how would I do that. I do have an airbrush machine but I haven't done much with it.

Thanks!
LL

12 replies
cassi_g16 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 13

it does look like the background, and balloons are airbrushed. I don't know about the carebear though.

tiptop57 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 13

If airbrushing this design I would create a stencil first and it would be prudent to practice with your stencil and airbrush before starting on your actual cake. I recommend cutting up some paper bags or newpaper for scratch paper to use.

P.S. It looks as though the stars are cut outs.

cupcakemkr Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 13

could it be an edible image with the fondant stars layed on top? That's what it looks like to me.

Good luck!

CoutureCakeCreations Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 13

looks to me like an edibe image that was made to fit the entire top of the cake.

tiggy2 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop57

If airbrushing this design I would create a stencil first and it would be prudent to practice with your stencil and airbrush before starting on your actual cake. I recommend cutting up some paper bags or newpaper for scratch paper to use.

P.S. It looks as though the stars are cut outs.

I agree 100% If you haven't done any or much air brushing you will definately need to pratice before trying it on your cake.

SUELA Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 13

I did a Strawberry short cake a few years ago before she was licensed in Canada. I bought rice paper and traced her on it from a pic on the website. I thinned down some gel colors with glycerin and painted her and placed on the cake. You could also use edible markers. only issue I had was the rice paper crinkled a little when absorbing moisture from the cake, but it was fun and did the job!

alicia_froedge Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 13

Can you use edible markers on buttercream icing?

loriemoms Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 9:50pm
post #9 of 13

My vote goes with the edible image as well....

alanahodgson Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 11:36pm
post #10 of 13

Yeah, it looks like an edible image to me, too. Besides the background, it looks more hand drawn than airbrushed. Could be the technique described by SUELA, but it almost looks like colored pencil rather than gel colors.

wgoat5 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:14pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia_froedge

Can you use edible markers on buttercream icing?

No Ma'am .. won't work.. icon_sad.gif

alanahodgson Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:24pm
post #12 of 13

Edible markers on frosting sheets or rice paper would work.

CakeDiane Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:27pm
post #13 of 13

If you don't want to use the airbrush, you could try chocolate transfers or FBCT--I think they would work great

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%