Please Help..i'm New

Decorating By ssgtsdaisy Updated 18 Jul 2008 , 7:09pm by cupcakemkr

ssgtsdaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssgtsdaisy Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 4

I am kinda forced into making my daughters birthday cake. My husband is military and we are overseas..there is no one on base making cakes....I've decided to give it a try. I've decided to do something , like this cake here. Same size, just not same decorations http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1196903
I've baked the cakes tonight (her birthday party is sat morning) I placed icing between the layers...now do I freeze them overnight, stick them in the fridge..or just wrap them in foil until the morning so i can finish icing and decorating them?
Please help me!!!!

Thank you!

3 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 4

I would wrap in saran wrap, it is more air tight than tin foil. THen put in the refrigerator or freezer. Remember to bring to room temp still wrapped before decorating.

Good luck!!

Just curious, where are you stationed?

ssgtsdaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssgtsdaisy Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you. I don't have seran rap..so I'll have to use foil!
Is there anything I can do to prevent crumbs from the cake mixing with the icing (I'm even using betty crocker icing)
We are stationed in turkey for another month..then we are heading to Italy!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 4

Betty Crocker frosting is a bit thick,try thining it a bit by either adding a little water and beating it or heat it up a bit in the microwave (just a little to soften it) this way it is easier to spread. If you do a really thin layer of icing (called a crumb coat) and let it sit in the fridge for a while to harden up and then take out and put on a second thicker coat of icing you should not get crumbs in the second coat.

I would put that crumb coat on then let it harden in the fridge and then wrap in tin foil to keep the cake from getting dried out, I would worry that tin foil wouldn't keep the air out as much.

Enjoy your travels and remember to take lots of pictures of the places you go. I kick myself for not doing that! (I am a Navy brat...all grown up now and with nothing to show my kids of the world)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%