No More Saggy Corners On Square Cakes!

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 20 Jul 2008 , 2:24am by aswartzw

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 10

y'all probably know this, but I just discovered it from another cake decorator...I asked her how she stopped her corners from "sagging" on her square cakes and sheet cakes. So she showed me. When damming the cake (even if its buttercream filling, always dam your cakes) she piled up a lot extra on the corners..and I mean a lot! (like double!) When you put the next layer on, you press down just a little on the corners to even it out, but not a lot. It really makes it nice and straight!! I did a sheet cake today and was blown away how square my corners were!!

Just thought I would pass it along...its such an easy fix for such a pain the a** problem!

9 replies
vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 10

Thanks for passing that tip along - I'll be sure to do that next time I have to do a square cake.

Dru329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dru329 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks for the tip!

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 10

God Bless Ya!! I could have used this a few hours ago when I started doing my cakes for tomorrow! At least I'll know for next time!

Anybody have any tricks for 1 layer sheets that don't have a filling? I basically did the opposite of Loriemoms trick and piled up extra icing on the top of the corners. Better---but they're never right, and it takes forever.

Thanks loriemoms!!!!!

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you for sharing

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:54am
post #6 of 10

On sheet cakes, I sometimes put a little mound of icing under the corner (between the cake and the baord) -- it "kicks" up the corner and helps get it straight.

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:07am
post #7 of 10

Thanks for sharing the tip. I'll be using it next week icon_smile.gif

sfunky67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfunky67 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:50am
post #8 of 10

Here is something I have done...take 4 unwrapped Hershey's Kisses and place one in each corner - point side up. The point will stick into the cake and it gives a nice "lift". Then fill in with frosting around the Kiss. The person who gets the corner piece also gets a little tasty treat!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:46pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfunky67

Here is something I have done...take 4 unwrapped Hershey's Kisses and place one in each corner - point side up. The point will stick into the cake and it gives a nice "lift". Then fill in with frosting around the Kiss. The person who gets the corner piece also gets a little tasty treat!

That is a neat idea too! I always make my buttercream roses in kisses (I only do them for kids cakes) and I always get comments on what a nice surprise that was!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:24am
post #10 of 10

Thanks so much! I really have to try this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%