Crusting Bc

Decorating By Quintessa Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 5:25am by lillicakes

Quintessa Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 11

What makes buttercream crust? Is it the shortening? I have a great tasting chocolate buttercream recipe that does not call for shortening and I would like to try it, but would need to be able to decorate with it too.

10 replies
mc Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 11

No help from me, but I was wondering the same thing, since I made one that is not crusting and I don't know why.

EmilyGrace Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 11

I could be wrong but I believe it is the amount of pwd sugar to fat (butter/shortening). I know you need lots more pwd sugar to fat but I'm not sure of the exact amount. When I make buttercream I use 3/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup shortening and 4 cups pwd sugar. I usually add a little more pwd sugar to make sure it crusts. Hopefully someone can give you a better answer! icon_smile.gif

ThreeDGirlie Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 11

I don't know what the magic ratio is, but it is definitely the fat/PS ratio that makes it crusting or non-crusting.

I know the "typical" crusting BC I have seen has 1 C fat/1 lb PS.

TexasSugar Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 11

What is your recipe?

And yes it is the ratio of fat to powder sugar. The more fat the less crusting, the more sugar the more crusting.

Quintessa Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:55am
post #6 of 11

recipezaar's dark chocolate bc submitted by kittencal, delicious

TexasSugar Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:08am
post #7 of 11

Could you please post the actually recipes in this thread or the link for it? I went to look for it in the files and can not find it.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:01am
post #8 of 11
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:09am
post #9 of 11
TexasSugar Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:41am
post #10 of 11

Okay looking at the recipe and doubling it because I'm use to looking at the fat to sugar for 1 to 2 cups of fat.

So it would be 1 cup of butter to 5 1/3 cups sugar. The recipe should crust. I don't use butter, but I believe it does make a softer icing. And the amount of liquid seems like alot to me, but then if you add alot of cocoa powder to it I think it will be okay. I usually have to add more liquid than I normally would when adding chocolate.

lillicakes Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 5:25am
post #11 of 11

Interesting...I thought whether it crusts or not has to do with whether the liquid gets mixed in with the sugar, as opposed to having the fat and sugar mixed thoroughly before the liquid is added. I thought the crust was actually dried sugar that was dissolved in whatever liquid is in the recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%