What Else Should I Do?

Decorating By karateka Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 10:44am by karateka

karateka Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 6

I have a request for a cake that looks like a dog tag...you know, the military ones.

I stamped the name in, without piping it since the dogs tags have the info stamped on. I put black around it for the rubber liner some of them have (ok'd by mom).

I know I need to clean up inside the hole, but what else would you do? I want to do a chain coming out of the hole, but it will be small balls compared to the size of the tag, as I only have one size bead maker and not enough time to hand make them all and string them.

I'm not sure I like the stamped look. I had issues with the numbers since I don't have number stamps, and I had to fake it. Plus, on some letters, it just doesn't look right.....I don't know.

I'd be grateful for some advise and/or opinions...she's picking it up tomorrow.

TIA
LL

5 replies
OhioBaker Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 3:44am
post #2 of 6

I don't know if this post is too late, but I thought I would go ahead and give you my opinion anyways...my girlfriend is a cop and I have dog tags right here in front of me. The chain would really "make" this cake, but I see that the beads may be out of the question. The only other suggestion that I have (from looking at our tags) is to make the center of the hole silver. You know...to make it look as though you can see through it. Otherwise, I think it's great. The lettering is fine...I think you're being to hard on yourself.

Be sure to post the final picture! icon_biggrin.gif

stillapill Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 3:55am
post #3 of 6

You might want to make the hole smaller next time. You could also get some black licorice strings and make small loops, then "chain" them together for the necklace part. You could also use edible silver spray to color the licorice.

I think the pressed letters and numbers look fine. If you are really worried that she won't like them, take a little edible silver or gray food coloring in a slightly darker shade than the fondant and "paint" in the depressions. They would stand out a bit better and the shading would probably make you happier with the cake. I think it's great!

Oh! And the black trim is actually called a "silencer" to keep the dog tags from clinking when you are wearing them together (as military guys always wear two). The silencer goes all the way around the edge and the part for the hole is connected to the edge piece at the top (all one piece).

Molly2 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 3:56am
post #4 of 6

Cake Balls would have made a great chain could have covered them with fondant and air brushed them or use gray frosting

Molly2

gateaux Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:30am
post #5 of 6

You did a great job. I like the licorice chain Idea. The letter and numbers are just fine. We are our worst critics.

Good Luck.

karateka Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 10:44am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillapill

You might want to make the hole smaller next time. You could also get some black licorice strings and make small loops, then "chain" them together for the necklace part. You could also use edible silver spray to color the licorice.

I think the pressed letters and numbers look fine. If you are really worried that she won't like them, take a little edible silver or gray food coloring in a slightly darker shade than the fondant and "paint" in the depressions. They would stand out a bit better and the shading would probably make you happier with the cake. I think it's great!

Oh! And the black trim is actually called a "silencer" to keep the dog tags from clinking when you are wearing them together (as military guys always wear two). The silencer goes all the way around the edge and the part for the hole is connected to the edge piece at the top (all one piece).

Thanks!

I actually did know that it was all one piece, but with the message she wanted, it wouldn't fit on there if I'd done it that way. And yes, I could have done it smaller....lesson learned. I'd forgotten what they were called. Been a while since Dad wore those things....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%