Stupid Question Of The Day!

Decorating By Kiwi777 Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 4:48am by PinkZiab

Kiwi777 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 9

Hi CCers. I have to make a stacked wedding cake and was wondering...if the top tier is left unadorned (on the top part) then how can you successfully dowel the whole cake together without it leaving a horrible mark on the top of the cake? (I'm sure there must be a way but I'll be darned if I can figure it out!!!) Please help!!!!

8 replies
PinkZiab Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 9

Put the top tier on a board with a hole pre-drilled in the center. Dowel the bottom tiers, allowing enough dowel to stick out the top that is about 1/2-2/3 the height of your top tier. Lower your top tier down over the dowel using your pre-drilled hole int he bottom

By the way, this is how I run the center dowel through all of my layers, fromt he bottom up. I use pre-drilled masonite cake boards (but you can do this with foamcore or cardboard as well), I run the measure dowel up through the bottom tier before attached it to the presentation board/drum, then I lower all my other tiers dowel OVER the dowel, rather than driving the dowel through after stacking.

lardbutt Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 9

You would just patch the hole with icing and smooth as usual if not using fondant. I'm not sure how do patch a hole with fondant.

If you are assembling on site you might not need a center dowel rod. I guess it would depend on the design of the cake.

Could you give us more details?

Kiwi777 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the input! The cake is 4 tiers and fondant-covered. Each tier is sitting on a 1/2" foamcore board to add a bit more height. Stupid me...I should have thought about this BEFORE! It's too late to try PinkZiab's advice since the cakes are already to be stack and there's no way I drill a hole through the botton of the top tier at this stage. Should I just stick put a dowel through the bottom 3 tiers, then stick the top one on at the reception (and pray it doesn't fall off?????) Yikes!!!!

PinkZiab Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 9

you can absolutely do that... if you don't put the top tier on until you are on-site, then you have no worries. The center dowel is to stabilize it for moving/transport. Once it's on the cake table, there's no way it'll fall off unless someone rams into it! Just "glue" it down with a squirt of buttercream and you'll be fine.

Kiwi777 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks PinkZiab. I feel a lot better about it now...and I'll be able to sleep tonight. L0L!!

lardbutt Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 9

Good luck and don't forget to let us see the finished product!

Ruby2uesday Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 11:04pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi777

Thanks for the input! The cake is 4 tiers and fondant-covered. Each tier is sitting on a 1/2" foamcore board to add a bit more height. Stupid me...I should have thought about this BEFORE! It's too late to try PinkZiab's advice since the cakes are already to be stack and there's no way I drill a hole through the botton of the top tier at this stage. Should I just stick put a dowel through the bottom 3 tiers, then stick the top one on at the reception (and pray it doesn't fall off?????) Yikes!!!!

ok, i have a question about this method she might use, for future reference. If she runs a dowel through the 3 tiers and foamcore, wouldnt' foamcore "shreds" get on/into the tiers below??? does that make sense?? just wondering!!! good luck Kiwi!!!

PinkZiab Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:48am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

If she runs a dowel through the 3 tiers and foamcore, wouldnt' foamcore "shreds" get on/into the tiers below???

If you were using foamcore or masonite, you would have all of your boards pre-drilled in the center before running the dowel (at least I would, with the foamcore, and obviously it's a necessity with the masonite). With cardboard it obviously doesn't matter--you can pre-punch the lower tiers, or not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%