Never Made A Flower...

Decorating By yvy_cano Updated 20 Jul 2008 , 11:08pm by yvy_cano

yvy_cano Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 12

I am making a birthday cake for my friend tomorrow and fell in love with this cake from Icing Dreams and wanted to try to make something similar. I wouldnt even know hot to begin making the rose flower on top. What would I need to buy to make it? Can someone help and walk me through it? I was looking at cutters at fondant source but was overwhelmed and didnt know which one to buy. Also is the lil border on the edge RI? Hmmm just the thought of making that rose makes me nervous, maybe I should put something else on top to subsitute icon_sad.gif ... Thanks!

11 replies
tiptop57 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 12

Egads tomorrow? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Since you have not made a flower like this before and you did not leave yourself adequate time to practice, I would use a silk flower. Then when you get a bit of time, pick up any Alan Dunn flower book and start practicing when you get a moment. I usually have flowers, greenery and ribbon bows hanging around and can use them whenever I get a last minute request. Or, an alternative on future cakes if you don't want to fuss with sugar paste flowers is to allow yourself more time and buy some pretty ones online.

Discountflowers.com has some nice pieces.

The border on top looks like buttercream. If you make it, remember to use a little powdered sugar on your finger and push down those little peaks. Also to make it easier yet, mark out your cake equally so the placement is more uniform. I cut out a parchment circle the size of the top and fold in half, again, and again until I get the paper as small as I want it, then place it on top and make a little mark with a pin on the creases and that is where to pipe the dots. Then I keep the circles as templates for the future.

HTH

aswartzw Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:58pm
post #3 of 12

That cake is gorgeous! And tiptop, you are so helpful! thumbs_up.gif

In the future, start small and build. The first time I made small roses (3 cutouts) it took me 30 minutes start to finish until I finally sped up to 15 minutes. Those gorgeous creations are so time-consuming. I haven't moved on to more flowers just b/c I don't want to spend the time. icon_redface.gif

yvy_cano Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 12

I was just thinking about going to get an artificial one to avoid all the trouble. Thanks your right! I need to take baby steps! lol... I will look into it and that is a great idea! I will start making bows and flowers just to alleviate the work when the cake is due! You are soooo helpful Thank you!

yvy_cano Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 6:14am
post #5 of 12

Another question, how do you get that deep pink on buttercream. I am mixing like crazy and cant get that color icon_sad.gif

CakeRN Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 6:37am
post #6 of 12

The color will darken as it sits so give it some time. You really need the "deep pink " color or even Electric pink from Americolor.

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 6:38am
post #7 of 12

If you're using wilton colors, the one that comes out that pink is Rose. Not Rose Petal, but Rose.

You might have to put in a lot.

chicapastel Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 7:09am
post #8 of 12

Hi tiptop57, can you tell me whitch Alan Dunn flower book do you recomended? i whould like to buy one, but he have many of then. thanks.

sarand Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 10:08am
post #9 of 12

Hi Have a look on utube... They show you how to make a few different flowers and you can just keep on replaying them... I have learnt a lot from there.

Good luck sarah

chicapastel Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:23am
post #10 of 12

Do you know what i have to put in youtube? whith Alan Dunn or gum paste flower didn´t work. thanks.

sarand Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:54am
post #11 of 12

i typed in 'icing rose' . try different things like cake decorating etc there is lots on there. good luck

yvy_cano Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:08pm
post #12 of 12

So I decided to make it without a flower on top, I posted it. Please check it out. Thanks for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%