Quoted Too Much?

Business By mama5kiddos Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 5:43pm by loriemoms

mama5kiddos Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 14

I am just starting off, and am still a little sketchy about pricing. I had a potential customer wanting a quote for a 3D cake, to feed atleast 25 people. I told her she would need a 12" cake underneath, and a 3D design on top (she wanted something similar to this pic) to feed that many people...and quoted her $65 to make it. She declined, and said that she found a quote from somewhere else where they would charge her only $45 including delivery. Did I quote her too much?
LL

13 replies
sari66 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 14

No, and like someone else here said it's always No
You are always bound to find someone who thinks that you're charging too much for your cakes and like this person they're welcome to find someone to do it for less.

Just an fyi i would have charged 90 for this cake.

mama5kiddos Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 14

Thank you for replying! I had told her that my original pricing would BE $90...I added up my 12" round price ($40) with my 3D price ($50)...but that I am just starting out, and need to add pics to my portfolio... so with my discount I would do it for $65.
I guess I am just asking others how much they would charge for a cake like this as well?

Aliwis000 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 14

Only 65 for that rabbit? Really? That is far too cheap! 90 sounded a lot closer because that looks like a lot of work, not to mention if you make that black fondant its hard or buy it which costs more. I am glad you stuck to at least 65. I would love to see how someone would craft that for only 45.

ladybug76 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 14

I agree.... $90 sounds more like it but I have to admit.... I am just starting out too and am terrible in charging deparment!! icon_smile.gif I love baking and designing the cakes - but I hate the part when the customer asks, "How much will that be?!?!" I generally always underestimate, so I can understand where you are coming from. If you look in my gallery, I only charged $100 for the 3-tier teapot cake and $50 for the little boy (sculpted from fondant) fishing. Don't even get me started with the basket of daisies, which a co-worker gave me the cost of supplies - which was $20 for 10 hours of work!! Oh well...... I guess you and I will both learn as we move along!!! icon_biggrin.gif
I have tried to come up with a pricing sheet and tell myself not to stray from it. I also remind myself... I am busy - working my full-time, being married with a 2-year-old daughter and baking cakes at night after everyone is asleep --- I can't just decorate cakes for "Free" (basically) when that time is being taken away from my family.
Good Luck!!!

marknelliesmum Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 14

Hi
Good luck with your new venture!!
I only do cakes for family and close friends and so far it has been either a gift or pay for the ingredients arrangement - I am not anything near the standard you find on cc but i'm pretty pleased with what I have created so far, but the time it takes (enjoyable tho it is) is staggering. If you asked a plumber, electrician etc to come and do some work for you, you would expect to pay for their skill at their 'craft' and their time. Your time and skill are no less precious or valuable. Set what you think is a fair price for the ingredients, your time and your skill and stick to your guns - if people want a cheap price they can get a cheap cake at a store / supermarket, if they want a work of art ( and that's what you are offering!) then it's gonna cost more - it's their choice. They have the right to decline your services - not the right to pressure you into compromising your time, effort and skill!
Good luck!
thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 8:26pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmum

If you asked a plumber, electrician etc to come and do some work for you, you would expect to pay for their skill at their 'craft' and their time.

You'd think so, huh? icon_lol.gif

Hubby works at a car dealership and has seen people bring their car in to "have it looked at". The tech spends 2 hours evaluating the problem, tells the customer what the problem is, then customer decides not to have the work done. Then customer gets all irrate because he has to pay a diagnostic charge! His reasoning?

"But you didn't DO anything!"

Uh.....see the bolded part in the above paragraph!! dunce.gif

snarkybaker Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:43am
post #8 of 14

We'd charge at least $125.

cupcakeit Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:55am
post #9 of 14

I would have charged her $110.00....and I would love to see the cake she got for $45.00....I would almost bet it looked nothing like the one you posted.....that would barely cover the cost of supplies. When I did my pricing, I literally figured out actual cost to make....ie $.33 for a vanilla cupcake with vanilla buttercream...no decorations etc....then I pay myself $13.00 per hour, which is minimum what I would make if I was to work for a big box type bakery...it took me quite a few weeks to get it down, but it saves me sooooo many headaches...it's this price...PERIOD!! saves you headaches and sends the bargain hunters on their way to the walmart. GOOD LUCK icon_smile.gif

poshcakedesigns Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 3:48pm
post #10 of 14

No that was NOT to much to charge. I have started to notice more and more lately that some people will say they found it cheaper just to see if you'll lower your price to 'what they want to pay' or have budgeted for the cake.

Hold your ground on your prices icon_razz.gif

indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 3:52pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshcakedesigns

No that was NOT to much to charge. I have started to notice more and more lately that some people will say they found it cheaper just to see if you'll lower your price to 'what they want to pay' or have budgeted for the cake.

Yep! And sometimes it just doesn't matter. Had a bride who was comparison shopping and came back and told me she had narrowed it down to me and another lady .... the other lady was HALF my price. I said, "Sounds like whoever you go with, you'll end up with a great deal and beautiful cake!"

She paid my price.

poshcakedesigns Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 3:58pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshcakedesigns

Yep! And sometimes it just doesn't matter. Had a bride who was comparison shopping and came back and told me she had narrowed it down to me and another lady .... the other lady was HALF my price. I said, "Sounds like whoever you go with, you'll end up with a great deal and beautiful cake!"

She paid my price.

icon_rolleyes.gif I also think you can sell 'yourself' so to speak. If they like you and feel they can trust you to deliver on what they want price isn't an issue. If only we could 'prescreen' the WM shoppers.

MaryAnnPriest Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:24pm
post #13 of 14

My first thought when reading this was that she was giving you a line to see if she could get the cake even cheaper. Stick to your guns on pricing. I know it's hard, being new myself, but we're worth it...and then some.

loriemoms Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 5:43pm
post #14 of 14

You don't want customers like that...they don't appreciate what is involved in a cake of that skill level.

I would have charged at least 100 myself...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%