Icing For Cookie Bouquet That Isn't Too Hard/crunchy?

Baking By beagledog100 Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 1:37am by mjnj

beagledog100 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 13

I am wondering if it's possible to use an icing on cookies that doesn't dry super hard? If possible, I would like to use a softer icing for the cookies.

Can someone tell me if this is possible and if so direct me to a recipe?

Thanks

12 replies
Honeydukes Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 13

You can always decorate your cookies with buttercream. You won't be able to stack them. Toba's icing dries firm, but not hard. It's one of the two most popular icings on CC. The other is Antonia74. I've never tried it, but others say it doesn't dry as hard as traditional RI.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2119-Toba-Garretts-Glace-Icing.html
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1983-Antonia74-Royal-Icing.html

foxymomma521 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 13

You can use fondant with RI details.

antonia74 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 13

Beagledog100, the royal icing recipe I created isn't super hard at all...I promise! It's a thinned royal icing and it dries enough that you could stack the cookies and not damage the icing, but it's NOT so hard that you have to make an effort to bite into it. It's really, really easy to use and I've even done an step-by-step article with photos to help you get started:

http://www.cakecentral.com/article54-How-To-Bake--Decorate-Cookies.html

If you look in my photos, every cookie pic in there is done using this icing. It's not hard and won't break your teeth at all --- that's why I made the recipe. icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

thedessertdiva Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 13

I like Karens RI recipe, but I have figured out that I dont like the look of outlining the cookie, then flooding to fill in (well, I dont like the look of it when I do it...lol), and I am not talented enough to ice the cookie with RI without the outline first...SOOOOO, I have decided that rolled buttercream, rolled thin and placed on the cookie as it comes out of the oven, works the best. I then use the RI to do the outline. For me it looks neater.

aswartzw Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 13

I like rolled buttercream (recipe from here) and then decorate with RI. Never had issues with it being too hard. RB is like fondant but tastes like buttercream.

beagledog100 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks Antonia74! I will have to read your article. I need all the help I can get!

Honeydukes Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:59am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedessertdiva

... I dont like the look of outlining the cookie, then flooding to fill in (well, I dont like the look of it when I do it...lol)...

Amen, sister. I like to say my outlines suffer from a nervous condition. Well, I don't like saying that, but it's true. I really want to try the Antionia74 RI -- everyone's cookie look smooth no matter the experience, it seems.

julesn20716 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:24am
post #9 of 13

I have tried RI, Antiona's and Toba's and I prefer the look and taste of Toba's. It dries nicely and not too hard and it has a nice glossy finish.

Kitagrl Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:26am
post #10 of 13

I have a recipe made with corn syrup, not sure if there are any like that here. I find that the colors tend to bleed somewhat, but it is tasty, and good for simple designs or pastels. My flower pots are done in it, although by the third or fourth day there was a bit of bleeding.

chovest Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:31am
post #11 of 13

I have not tried either Antonia's or Toba's, but I have heard only good about both.

Personally, I use MMF w/RI details. These were done in MMF w/RI detail. Hope you find what works best for you.
LL

yankeegal Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:32am
post #12 of 13

I highly recommend Antonia74's royal recipe. I have tried countless royal recipes and her's is the best by far.

mjnj Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:37am
post #13 of 13

I use a glaze made of powdered sugar, water and corn syrup. With extracts, if desired. It dries well enough to stack or put in a cookie bouquet but is not hard at all. People love it!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1211121

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%