What Should I Buy? Advice Needed Plz.....

Decorating By cakes_by_jess Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 4:14am by kakeladi

cakes_by_jess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes_by_jess Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everybody,

I want to practice on tiered cakes as I have never done one before. I'd like to do a 3 tier cake.
My question is what is the most popular sizes for a 3 tier cake? For instance a 10, 8, and 6..... I am gonna buy the cake pans for practice, so I'd like to buy ones that will be used a lot. Hope that makes sense. Anyway TIA for your help.

CC Rocks!!

3 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 4

A traditional rule of thumb is the top tier should be no bigger then 6" and then each layer add at least three inches to help it look "stepped" and keep it from looking like a pyramid. (unless that is the look you are trying to attain.)

cakes_by_jess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes_by_jess Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you tiptop57, I didn't know about the 3" rule of thumb. That helped me quite a bit! I'm gonna go look for cake pans now.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:14am
post #4 of 4

I much prefere a 4" differenceicon_smile.gif
Also that would make the pan sizes all in even sizes (6,10,14,16). Odd size pans are(at least used to be) hard to find.
Do measure your oven both from side to side and front to back to see what the biggest pan is that will fit into the oven & still be able to close the door!icon_smile.gif M any a person has purchased a 16" pan only to find it would not fit. Also remember sq pans have a extra 1/2"(?) 'lip' on each side so you have to figure that into your figures.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%