Business By LNW Updated 20 Jul 2008 , 4:10pm by chutzpah

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:13am
post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Mine shows an expiration date, which is on their one-year anniversary. I also have written on there, "Two weeks notice is required".

Edited to add: Never underestimate the stupidity of the American Public. If there's no expiration date, even if it says it's for the FIRST anniversary, I swear to high heaven, they will argue with you "well, there's NO expiration date, so I should be able to get my 1st anniversary cake 5 years later!"

You know those things you put on your car windshield to keep the sun from beating down on it all day and getting hot? Mine has a warning
"Remove before attempting to operate vehicle".

After seeing that, I can understand what you mean. People are well, people.

Last month I was at Chick-Fil-A with the kiddo's and I kid you not, a lady was driving out of the parking lot with one of those things in her window!!! She pulled it back a TAD to see over it to drive, but it was right there, reflecting the sun in everyones rear view mirror! If she looked over she could have seen SHOCK written all over my face.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 3:37am
post #32 of 36

Hey, Deb, it's not just the American people!! There is a Swedish made chainsaw that actually has a warning lable that says...

Warning: Do NOT attempt to stop chain with hands or genitals.

Here's your sign.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 3:45am
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMakar

I don't understand why it matters when they redeem it? If they want it on their 1st or their 5th, you're still making a cake. As long as you both know you did their cake...not some stranger getting it?

Can someone clarify?

Because:
(1) It's a FIRST anniversary cake, not a "whenever I want to get one" cake
(2) Technically, this is like an open account on my books .... it's an outstanding "check" that hasn't been cashed yet. I'm not keeping it open forever. It costs money to keep accounts open ... maintenance and monitoring, etc.
(3) When I offered the cake, it had a value of $X. 5 years later, it now has a value of $3X, so they are actually getting MORE than what the original offer was for.
(4) I don't owe something to someone for the rest of their life.

Git-R-Dun!!!!!!!!!!

Just askin'! Thanks - those are some good reasons. Things to consider when I start a business. icon_biggrin.gif

I once saw a frozen food box that said "Preheat oven to 350* before removing box from freezer."

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:29am
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Hey, Deb, it's not just the American people!! There is a Swedish made chainsaw that actually has a warning lable that says...

Warning: Do NOT attempt to stop chain with hands or genitals.

Here's your sign.

One would never see a label on a chainsaw in Sweden that said that. They only label that way for items being exported to the United States, and only to CYA. Americans are notorious (overseas) for being sue-happy, so foreign companies have to label that way just in case some dork decides to whip out his penis to stop the saw, instead of reaching over and turning it off/unplugging it.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 3:50pm
post #35 of 36

I have to laugh that everyone from other countries think that the only stupid people on earth are the ones in the US. I don't get offended though because I know stupid is an international language, and I'm not an idiot. icon_lol.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 4:10pm
post #36 of 36

There are stupid people everywhere, believe me. I have lived outside the US for 15 years and traveled everywhere ...... and have met way too many idiots.

Companies exporting to the US HAVE to have labels like that on their products, unfortunately. It is just too easy to sue and win a trivial lawsuit in the US (like winning a suit when you cut off your hand with the chainsaw.... "well, it didn't say on the warning label NOT to use my hand...."). They have to cover all their bases just in case some dumbass comes along and decides to dry their cat in the microwave......., and then sue when the cat dies and they have to get a new cat AND a new microwave.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%