Anyone Do Genealogy? Esp. Canada

Lounge By beachcakes Updated 22 Jul 2008 , 1:54pm by beachcakes

beachcakes Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 6

Just wondering if there were any family genealogists out there?

I've been "volunteered" for the task in our family. I bought the Family Tree Maker 08 software which came with a trial to Ancestry.com.

Ancestry won't let me access Canadian censuses (or censi?)LOL w/o upgrading for another $200, which i really can't afford. But all my relatives came from Canada. Is there another way to view census records?

Also, any general genealogy tips would be appreciated. icon_smile.gif

5 replies
mimi2004 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 6

Hey Beachcakes,
I dabble in genealogy. I too have Family Tree Maker but can't afford all the extra bells a whistles. I go to a web site called www.rootsweb.com. Just type in the name and then go to world connect. This info is free. I found other people looking for my family also and was able to connect with them and get info that they had. Hope this helps!

Mimi

beachcakes Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:51pm
post #3 of 6

This is awesome Mimi! Thanks so much!! Believe me, I couldn't afford to pay the Ancestry if it weren't a free trial! icon_smile.gif

This is terrific! icon_smile.gif

tracycakes Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:20am
post #4 of 6

I also research my genealogy and it can be fascinating and frustrating and there is always 1 more person to find.

Because my research is so sporadic, I refuse to sign up for ancestry and pay a monthly fee. Check your local libraries genealogy department. They should have access to ancestry and it's free. You can print everything out. I have found it to work out great for me and it doesn't cost me every month.

Another good site is familysearch.org. The LDS pushes family genealogy and history and their website has a lot of great information. Their LDS centers are all over the USA and you can find a tremendous amount of information there also. Their building in Salt Lake City has 4 floors - 2 are USA, 1 of Canada and 1 is records from all over the world.

Good Luck!

Cookie_Brookie Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 6

I like rootsweb.com. Also Geni.com has a free family tree maker.

beachcakes Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 6

Awsome thanks! I'll look into these!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%