What To Charge For Fillings. I Need Help.

Decorating By BellaSweet Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 12:14am by alanahodgson

BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 7

So I have a wedding cake in a few weeks. I am chargin 1.95 p/s. Now the bride wants filling for all 3 tiers. Each tier is also a different flavor cake. How much extra should I charge for the filling p/s? And also do you guys charge extra when they want a differents flavor cake per tier? Any help will be so appreciated.

6 replies
BellaSweet Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 7

mmmmm. so i know someone is out there. icon_confused.gif Can someone please please help. don't make me beg..... icon_wink.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 7

I only do this for family and friends but I have decided that fillings or bc will be the same price. I'm doing this for two reasons. I don't want to have to have the discussion of, if you want this it will be x amount and if you want this it will be y amount. And the second reason, I love doing fillings, I love the extra yum (and looks) it gives a cake, and if I asked more for it most people would probably just ask for buttercream instead.

Now if you do this, you should figure in the cost of filling into your base price. Sometimes they will want filling and sometimes they will want buttercream, either way you are making/paying for something to go in the cake. With the cost of everything rising, even things like sleeve filling or jars of preserves cost just about as much as it does to make a batch of icing to go in the middle of the layers.

Since you have already priced the cake with the understanding it would be bettercream and she is okay with the extra charge then I would figure how much it is going to cost you to make the fillings and decide how much you need to add to the cake price for that.

I'm doing a wedding cake next weekend with two different fillings. I told her we could do one flavor for the whole cake or two flavors for it. I'm doing the 6in and 9in the same flavor because I do not need a whole cake mix for the 6in and didn't want to have to make a seperate flavor to have extra left over. And the 12 in will be a seperate flavor. Because she has already paid me in full, I had already decided we were going to only do two flavors. If someone had asked from the beginning I may have charged extra, but I doubt it. When you figure your prices I think we need to factor in a little extra to cover things like that.

I'm just excited she decided on somethng more than just marbled cake with buttercream. HeHe... Had to educate her that there were many other flavors out there. icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 7

I don't charge extra for changing flavors per tier. I also don't charge extra for fillings. When I costed out the difference betwen bc and fillings it was literally only pennies. Ya gotta put something in there. Customers love not having to pay extra for every little thing. That said by base price is $3 per serving.

BellaSweet Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 7

I didn't think about how buttercream is a filling. And the cake needs something in the middle. Now I know next time to already account for it in the base price. Thanks ladies. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I don't charge extra for changing flavors per tier. I also don't charge extra for fillings. When I costed out the difference betwen bc and fillings it was literally only pennies. Ya gotta put something in there. Customers love not having to pay extra for every little thing. That said by base price is $3 per serving.

Ditto. (geesh, some days I feel like a leahs stalker, coz I agree with her SO often!)

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:14am
post #7 of 7

My fillings are all homemade and I'm not a bakery. I already have to make the buttercream, but if I have to spend the time to make a filling too, that's a considerable amount of additional time. I can't just whip up a huge batch and have some laying around for when I need it because it doesn't turn over quickly enough. That is why I charge extra. I only charge and additional $.25 per serving, but the time I spend making it makes me think I should charge more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%