Meringue Not Working! Please Help!

Decorating By 3GCakes Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 4:40am by 3GCakes

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 8

Hello! I have a wedding cake tomorrow, it's indoors, air conditioning, etc. I have been trying all morning to get IMBC to work, my meringue is great before I pour in the syrup...then boom.. SOUP! I am so frustrated. I cleaned everything twice again, used cream of tartar, etc. I have made this about 20 times before using the Egg Beaters egg whites, but today it is not working. It is hot outside here, hazy...humid. I know meringue doesn't like humidity...should I throw out the soup meringue, or can I still use it as a filling? I am thinking I am going to need to switch to American Buttercream to ice and pipe. Any suggestions?

7 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 8

Are you sure your syrup is at the right temp for soft-ball stage? Are you using a thermometer or just eyeball, or doing it by feel (in water?) If you're not getting it hot enough to be at soft ball stage it's not going to work.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 8

Before you toss it throw it in the freezer, and let the butter firm up. Then try to beat it again w/ the paddle.

Mike

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Quote:

Before you toss it throw it in the freezer, and let the butter firm up. Then try to beat it again w/ the paddle.

From what I'm reading I don't think she's getting as far as adding the butter, as her meringue itself it turning to soup.

pastrylady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrylady Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 8

I think the egg whites are your problem...even though you've used this brand before. I've had have this happen with some brands of frozen whites and not other brands. I would imagine that even within the same brand, the whites can vary from batch to batch.

I've never been able to figure out for sure what the problem is, but I think that some frozen whites are ultra pasteurized and this seems to cause the whites to break down when the hot syrup is added. I don't think you can rescue the meringue or the buttercream. Try using fresh egg whites (from pasteurized eggs if you want to be safe) or another brand of frozen egg whites.

3GCakes Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you everyone! I was able to rescue one batch (after I prayed about it!) the meringue stiffened a bit, I beat in the butter and actually was able to ice with it!

I am using a thermometer, let it get to 248. I think it may have been the whites within the batch, as stated above. I have 4 more cartons but bought at different stores....so I am going to keep trying!

Thank you so much for all the helpful advice. I have refrigerated after the butter turns to soup and it has still worked in the past, but I've never been dumped by the meringue stage!

I will let you all know about the next batches. Thanks a lot!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 8

You didn't accidently pick up the wrong kind of egg whites, did you? Double check you got the ones for the meringue or it will never come together.

3GCakes Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:40am
post #8 of 8

Hello all! I did get the rest of my batches to come together. I had been using the Egg Beaters brand for a while, but I think some of the store brands may work a little better. THankfully most stores now carry their own brand of carton whites, and they are a bit cheaper but it was the Egg Beaters that seemed to be giving me trouble. Also, could I have been adding too much syrup? I usually make a 5 white batch with one pound butter, but the cartons are usually 8 whites and then I use about 6 or 7 sticks of butter, and I usually go ahead and add 1/4 c. sugar to the whites and heat up a whole cup to make syrup...is that too much sugar or syrup?

I really appreciate all the help. This cake is from an old Wilton book, and it had ruffles going up the side but I changed that to some scrolls because it's so hot I was afraid they would fall off. It looks really old school and home made, and it weighs a TON! I hope I can get it delivered without having a hernia. THanks all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%