Help, I Need A Cake Pan Consensus

Decorating By CocoaBlondie Updated 20 Jul 2008 , 12:00am by practiceandpatience

CocoaBlondie Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 25

I'm looking to purchase some new square cake pans. I can't make up my mind, should I buy wilton's & use my coupon & be thrifty, or should I try some thing new like fat daddios or magic line? I do want the best & clean crisp edges on my cakes. What would you do? Do you know of any other pans out there as well that are even better?

24 replies
afolk Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 25

I love, love, LOVE my Magic Line pans. Definitely worth the investment. Perfectly crisp edges...they're awesome!

foxymomma521 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 25

I LOVE my Magic Line pans. I'm slowly replacing all of my Wilton Pans with ML pans...

Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 25

I have both Fat Daddios and Magicline and I like them both.Magicline does make a more crisper corner and edge though!!

terrig007 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 25

Don't be thrifty. I made that mistake by buying with the coupons too and now I'm replacing all my pans as well with Magic Line. Like the old adage, measure twice, cut once. Wish I had just saved and bought the ML to being with. HTH

missmeg Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 25

Save your coupon for other stuff. Never skimp on good pans. I've got all the ML square pans but one - the 10"!! But I just can't justify it in my budget yet.

sweetideas Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:10pm
post #7 of 25

where do you buy magic line pans at?

missmeg Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 25

I get mine locally at a cake supply store. But Global Sugar Art carries them.

leah_s Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 25

Magic Line all the way! Crisp edges and no special handling required.

Narie Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:33pm
post #10 of 25

Magic Line is available at Country Kitchen and Amazon. I'm sure you can find them else where. The Magic Line square pans give very crisp corners. I often need a toothpick to clean the corner seams. One warning -hand wash these pans, the dishwasher makes them look ratty. (I tossed one of them into the dishwasher shortly after I got it and it looks sad. The others look great because I learned that the dishwasher is not a good choice for these pans.)

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/mini.aspx?T=1&ShopId=38&CatId=536&SubCatId=986

Scroll down this page to find the Magic Line pans.

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:40pm
post #11 of 25

I was real fortunate. I got insurance money to replace my mismatch stuff after a house fire ate my cake pans. So I got my stuff from Ultimate Baker--I'm sure they are still online but they don't make the odd 11" 13" 15" sized pan anymore.

So does magic line make all the odd sized pans? I know fat daddyos does. So that would be the deciding factor for me plus fd are dishwasher safe.

Both ml and fd are great. There is an 'off brand' out there though somewhere that is proabably cheaper and just as good like the ones I use.

Cake pan thoughts for you.

dreamn900 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:43pm
post #12 of 25

Intotheoven.com also sells Magic Line. If you want crisp clean edges, then you definitely don't want Wilton, at least not the "hobby" line. I don't know if their "professional" line is any better.

CocoaBlondie Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:56pm
post #13 of 25

It does look like magic line had odd # cake pans as well. Thanks, I checked into it with the one website Narie posted.

1234me Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:01pm
post #14 of 25

I got my square pans at www.cakepans4less.com I love them and they have straight edges. The prices are great and the shipping is quick!

arosstx Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:23pm
post #15 of 25

intotheoven dot com has the best prices, and reasonable shipping - at least they did when I was getting my pans a couple years ago.

lardbutt Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:27pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetideas

intotheoven.com has the best prices and best shipping, however sometines they seem to have alot out of stock. They had the ones I wanted when I got mine.

If you buy them from globalsugarart.com, use the link from CC because they get a kickback from that. I just ordered some cutter from them.

lardbutt Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:32pm
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetideas

intotheoven.com has the best prices and best shipping, however sometines they seem to have alot out of stock. They had the ones I wanted when I got mine.

If you buy them from globalsugarart.com, use the link from CC because they get a kickback from that. I just ordered some cutter from them.

Wait a minute, if I remember correctly, globalsugarart doesn't sell Magic Line pans do they?

CocoaBlondie Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 11:27pm
post #18 of 25

Wow, Thanks everyone icon_biggrin.gif Looks like I'll be buying some Magic Line cake pans. Now I'll just have to check out all the sites to get the best price. I'll check on global sugar art too, just in case. Thanks again!

Petit-four Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:09am
post #19 of 25

Country Kitchens had very good prices on Magic Line pans when I bought mine a few months ago.

Here's a photo comparing the two (square, of course).

I won't comment on which is which, due to some difficulties I encountered.

tapedshut.gif

thumbs_up.gif
LL

CocoaBlondie Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:35pm
post #20 of 25

What a difference icon_eek.gif Thanks for sharing that photo. I'll have to check out country kitchens. I think I know which is which just by looking online at different pans icon_wink.gif

arosstx Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:52pm
post #21 of 25

Wow, a lot of truth to the "a picture is worth a thousand words" saying! Great job Petit-four, on posting the pic!

I have similar pictures, but they answer the question, "Wilton or Magic Line"? I decided to post it just for the heck of it, maybe it'll help someone. The batter used was from the same batch.
LL

CocoaBlondie Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 5:12pm
post #22 of 25

Okay now I'm not just replacing my square pans... I going to be replacing all of my pans icon_cry.gif Thanks for the picture icon_lol.gif

leah_s Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 7:26pm
post #23 of 25

Since the square pans have very different edges, it shouldn't take a lot to figure out which pan is which. icon_smile.gif

Petit-four Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:22pm
post #24 of 25

Thanks for the other photo, arosstx! icon_smile.gif

My advice: buy what works best for you! thumbs_up.gif

practiceandpatience Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 12:00am
post #25 of 25

I have both FD and ML, and I have better luck with the FD baking with nice smooth edges and tops, no crumbing. But I do make sure to bake with FD at a lower temp (325°)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%