Cake Sturdy Enough For Az Heat?

Decorating By kyhendry Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 10:50pm by kyhendry

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all,

I just rec'd a cake order for a 2 tier princess cake for Aug 1. I live in Phoenix AZ where it could be 110+ on any given day in August and possibly 50-60 degree dewpoint. Not as humid as some areas in the south but this party is at a pool so the area humidity could be higher. Will the WASC cake stand up to this kind of heat and not fall apart. I'm more concerned with what the fondant will do under these conditions - will it start weighing down on the cake?

Thanks for any input and ideas you can give me. I appreciate everyone's help.

Kathleen icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
JenInAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenInAZ Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:11am
post #2 of 6

They want a fancy stacked cake outside this time of year??? Are they crazy??

kyhendry Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInAZ

They want a fancy stacked cake outside this time of year??? Are they crazy??

Yes, I believe they are! icon_biggrin.gif

At least it's only 2 tiers, a 10-12" bottom and 6" top is what I'm thinking for about 30 peeps. I think I'm going to use the WASC but just worried about the fondant getting warm...I wonder if I can set it on those flat blue ice type things that you soak to plump up with water and then freeze? Might help a little and won't soak the base board.

Kathleen

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 6

Hi Kathleen!
Oh cool...another AZ girl here! Welcome!

As for an outdoor cake in AZ this time of year icon_eek.gif , I personally would say no way no matter what it was done in. That's just asking for trouble in my opinion. Unless they are just going to present the cake and cut it immediately, I'd say no! Granted like you said, our humidity isn't as high as other places in the US but our temps out do most places for sure. You know how it feels and I'd hate to see all your hard work start to droop and slide.

You said you think the cake would be for about 30 people so if you use a 10" + a 6", that is already more than 30 servings. (that's 44 by my count)
I wouldn't put a cake on anything other than the table because of stability issues.

Hope that helps.
KimAZ

P.S. I see you're new here so if you're interested in the cake clubs or cake show here in AZ, please let me know. icon_smile.gif

kyhendry Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 6

KimAZ -

Hi there fellow Phoenician!

Yeah, I've been going back and forth on this silly idea they have all weekend. I'm going to see if they can leave the cake inside the house or apt and bring it out (like presenting it to the girl) right near the time of cutting it.

I know 10 & 6 will be more than 30 but I was going for the dramatic difference in sizes so that the Disney Tiara on the top will stand out - it's a princess cake.

Thanks for your help and input. I would like some info on clubs here in the valley but I'll PM you separately.

Thanks again.

Kathleen

kyhendry Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 10:50pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimAZ

Unless they are just going to present the cake and cut it immediately

I just talked to the lady and told her the cake would not withstand these temps sitting outside. She's having it at a local city pool so there's no apt to hold the cake in until they are ready for it so I told her to call me about 1/2 hour before they are ready for the cake and I'll deliver it they can ooh and ahh over it for 15 minutes and then cut the darn thing. icon_biggrin.gif haha

She's fine with that so I definitely feel better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%