How Do I Use Fresh Daisies On Cake....

Decorating By missym Updated 23 Apr 2015 , 6:09am by lisasnider

missym Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 11:18am
post #1 of 10

Iâve used fresh flowers on cakes a number of times, but this one has me puzzled. The bride has requested a small bouquet on the top with the other daisies cascading down the side. Mind you, these will not be the âorganicâ flowers (I believe that is what they call the edible flowers). Typically I use a separator plate for the flowers on top or if I have a small bouquet on the side, wrap the stems of the flowers in plastic wrap before using on the cake. Is there a better way??? Please help!

Thank you, Missy

9 replies
missym Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 10

Hello, anyone! Please!

yummymummy Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 10

I also need ot know this!! Please help us! icon_smile.gif

Sunflower08 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 10

There is a product out there that are flower picks that you can push into the top of the cake. You push them in and then can put the flowers into that.. The flowers then never really touch the cake. I found some of them at Hobby Lobby I believe..

loriemoms Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 10

So many florists just stick the flowers in the cake...but I agree, use picks if you don't think they will be safe!

yummymummy Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:30pm
post #6 of 10

I would also like to know how long fresh flowers will last on a cake before they start wilting. Does anyone know?

loriemoms Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 9:51pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummymummy

I would also like to know how long fresh flowers will last on a cake before they start wilting. Does anyone know?

good flowers will last longer then the cake, beleive it or not! (I mean, if you place it like 2-3 hours before the reception) I have set up cakes in the morning of the wedding and the bride sent me cake cutting photos..the flowers still looked beautiful 5-6 hours later.

yummymummy Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 9:59pm
post #8 of 10

Oh great! I'll be setting up an hour before the reception, so they should be fine. Yay! Thanks!!

missym Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 7:11pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone! I talked to a florist and she suggested since I was using daisies, to put a toothpick into the trimmed off daisy and it worked beautifully. I wasn't totally happy with the cake itself due to the extreme heat and humidity, but the brides' mother loved it!

Here's the link to the photo.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1245945

lisasnider Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 6:09am
post #10 of 10

This is an old thread but I'll give it a try. Is it ok for the bottoms of the daisies to touch the cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%