Making Monkey Ears (Monkey Earache!)

Decorating By missyv110 Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 6:43pm by Emmieq

missyv110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyv110 Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 16

Hi all. I'm looking for something to use for monkey ears like on cupcakes similar to these: (credit goes to a cupcake maker who posted these on flickr photosharing, name unknown, but aren't they adorable?)

I can't find Nutterbutters (used in the photo) nor Necco wafers....so I need something circular and flat, like a small disk-shaped cookie about twice the circumference of an M&M. I tried cutting Nilla wafers (they sawed off ok for the muzzles)...but they shattered when trying to make little circles.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Maureen
LL

15 replies
lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 16

You could make small 1/2 moon cookies (sugar cookies or the no-fail variety that is used here on CC), they could be marked in whatever design you wished before baking. You might need to make 2-3 batches (6 or fewer cookies each) to get the correct size and markings. The cupcakes are adorable!!

Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 1:05pm
post #3 of 16

What about white chocolate dics?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 16

what about Nilla wafers cut in half?? Also......if you wanted to you could do them out of graham crackers.......If you pop a graham cracker in the microwave for 5-10 seconds (depending on how strongly powered your mic. is) it will make them get soft and you can (immediately) cut them with a round cookie cutter and then cut the circles in half with a knife.....after sitting for 30 seconds or so they will firm right back up again.......depends on how much trouble you want to go to?

missyv110 Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 5:00pm
post #5 of 16

Thanks for all the ideas & tips (the graham cracker tip is awesome)

I found some giant yellow daisy sprinkles, stuck em in, and MONKEY TIME.

How do you like 'em?
LL

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 16

Well, that was sure a winner, they are darling!

Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 16

cute...cute...cute

Nitu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nitu Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 16

Sooooooooooooo Cute!

Thanks for sharing with us.
Nitu

missyv110 Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 8:19pm
post #9 of 16

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your kind words. Here's the Cake that goes with the little monkeys:
LL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 3:20pm
post #10 of 16

so adorable!!!!! I LOVE it.........those cupcakes are too cute!! What kind of frosting is on that cake......man that looks like a delicious monkey head LOL

missyv110 Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 3:34pm
post #11 of 16

Hee hee, khalstead you're too funny! I made a 'chocolate attack' buttercream (made up as I went along)
1 cup butter
1/4 cup shortening
lots of icing sugar
six melted squares of unsweetened choc (melted & cooled)...
1/4 cup sifted cocoa
dash salt
couple of tablespoons strong coffee
one drop of maple flavour (I know, strange, but it brought out the chocolate)

There was enough for Mama Monkey's entire head plus the cupcakes, plus putting a fair amount in MYSELF (testing, testing, of course)

Then I foam-rollered it, and it worked great!

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 3:44pm
post #12 of 16

Cute cake and cupcakes!! My son looves monkeys, so he'd go bananas over those!!

Nitu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nitu Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 9:28pm
post #13 of 16

Thanks and thank you so much, missyv110.
You helped me a lot for my next cake order. This order is totally monkey theme. And I have to do cupcakes too. So you gave me entire package. I am glad that I saw this forum and. I really appreciated your instructions, recipes and photos.

Thanks again
Nitu

JackSkellington11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackSkellington11 Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 2:33am
post #14 of 16

Love it. . .great job thumbs_up.gif

missyv110 Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 3:45am
post #15 of 16

Nitu, I'm so glad this was helpful to you!

UPDATE......
Well, the monkeys were a HUGE success, the birthday girl was thrilled to bits, the kids went crazy, and the parents went crazier. Adults are NUTS for cupcakes! They would have eaten 48 of them, the 24 went so fast.

The manager at the Rainforest Cafe asked for my number as they do catering....he loved the monkey theme..... how cool is that??

Seeing Haley's 11-yr old face just light up when she saw the cakes, that made everything all worthwhile. Priceless, as they say!

YAY MONKEYS!
icon_lol.gif

Emmieq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmieq Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 6:43pm
post #16 of 16

Missy what a wondeful cake. My daughter asked for a monkey cake this morning, Today is her birthday icon_mad.gif . I stumbled across this website Via ask.com and joined at once. I have a few cake Ideas for a fish (I made for my son last month) and a teddy bear. I will post them as soon as I get this dang monkey cake made and I can figure out how to post the pictures. Thanks for the great Idea. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%