Oh Craigslist!

Decorating By Texas_Rose Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 7:03pm by loriemoms

Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:54am
post #1 of 25

This ad was on Craigslist tonight: http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/for/759617957.html

I'm so tempted to email them and ask if the Manassas Cakery has moved to San Antonio...or email and ask what they use on their cakes if they don't use "FONDA" as they said.

24 replies
adobewife Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:06am
post #2 of 25

Oh..WOW!

veejaytx Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:38am
post #3 of 25

"All our cakes are made freash from scrach."

Hope they bake and decorate better than they spell!

Umm, maybe "scrach" and "Fonda" are new brands!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:53am
post #4 of 25

LOL- a tasteless cake, just what I was looking for, yummy! That wedding cake with the red writing though is very well done (but that's fondant unless my eyes and experience deceive me!). What's the medical centre location about? I think I'm confused!

TandTHarrell Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:56am
post #5 of 25

Good for her, I hope Craig list bring her much business.... thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Jocmom Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:57am
post #6 of 25

wow . . . that's a mess

Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 11:02am
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

LOL- a tasteless cake, just what I was looking for, yummy! That wedding cake with the red writing though is very well done (but that's fondant unless my eyes and experience deceive me!). What's the medical centre location about? I think I'm confused!

The cake with the red writing is very well done...it just wasn't done by them. http://www.flickr.com/photos/weddingcakes/56618237/in/set-1245400/

The cake with the scrolls and pearls was also done by the Manassas Cakery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/weddingcakes/57546918/in/set-1245522/

The medical center location is just a part of town with a lot of hospitals and medical centers (and cheap apartments, I used to live in that area!).

MikeRowesHunny Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 11:14am
post #8 of 25

Oh good Lord, so they are stealing photos too?! Wow. You know, if you don't do fondant, don't put stolen pictures of fondant cakes as examples - dingbats.

myslady Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:32pm
post #9 of 25

icon_biggrin.gif They don't do Fondant as they said, they only do Fonda icon_biggrin.gif

MessiET Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:40pm
post #10 of 25
Quote:

Oh good Lord, so they are stealing photos too?! Wow. You know, if you don't do fondant, don't put stolen pictures of fondant cakes as examples - dingbats.

And that is why a watermark on the pictures is a good idea...

armywifebryan Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:29pm
post #11 of 25

Did anyone ever say anything to them? If no one did...I will! It is people like them that give the real cake decorators and bakeries a bad name. I have already found that a lot of people won't give me the time of day when it comes to decorating because of ads like this where they advertise they can make a beautiful, gorgeous cake and then don't deliver! It ticks me off because I work hard on my cakes and deliver what I say I can!!!

Teresa
(These kinds of ads are also why I haven't posted any of my cakes!! icon_wink.gif )

Mike1394 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:29pm
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by myslady

icon_biggrin.gif They don't do Fondant as they said, they only do Fonda icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Now what Jane does is her own business. LOLOLOL

Mike

MichelleM77 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:58pm
post #13 of 25

Dang, it's been removed. I wanted to see it! LOL!

Tiababe Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:13pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by myslady

Hey Now what Jane does is her own business. LOLOLOL

Mike

Too Funny!!!!

Jocmom Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:16pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:

The cake with the red writing is very well done...it just wasn't done by them. http://www.flickr.com/photos/weddingcakes/56618237/in/set-1245400/

The cake with the scrolls and pearls was also done by the Manassas Cakery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/weddingcakes/57546918/in/set-1245522/

WHAT?!?!? There are only 4 cake pictures on that site and 2 aren't theirs?

This is the 3rd posting I've seen concerning stolen cake pictures in less than a week. Are times that tough and people are so desperate for business that they'll steal someone's pictures in hope of drumming up business?

sari66 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:23pm
post #16 of 25

the site has been removed!!

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:49am
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sari66

They reposted: http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/for/760763879.html

I'm actually emailing them...

Quote:
Quote:

Hi,

I thought I would tell you the reason that your ad probably got deleted. The photos that you posted are not cakes that you made. The white fondant with the red writing and the tiered cake with the scrolls and pearls were both made by a lady named Karen Armstrong of the Manassas Cakery. It's not considered polite to post photos of someone else's work unless you give them credit for the work...a cake like that is a ton of work and posting a photo of it to try to get business for yourself is a form of stealing. Besides, advertising that you don't use any fondant and displaying a photo of a fondant-covered cake is rather odd.

Why don't you repost with photos of your own work? That would be a better idea, because then you won't be promising things that you can't deliver.

Oh, and if you do decide to branch out into using fondant, which is a good idea in our climate, I have a very good recipe that is cheap to make and tastes good. You can flavor it, too.

Judi

Ruby2uesday Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:13am
post #18 of 25

there's now only 2 pics, her pics, on the page. guess they got the message!

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:18am
post #19 of 25

She wrote back to me:

Quote:
Quote:

I see. I thank you for the info. I DID DO A POSTING SAY THAT THE LAST 2 CAKES WERE JUST PICTURES OF WHAT I COULD DO. BUT I DO UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM. THANK YOU. I HAVE OVER 14YEARS IN THE BAKERY BUSINESS AND I WOULD NOT WANT SOMEONE TAKING CREDIT FOR SOMETHING I DID. SO I DO APOLOGIZE. I HAVE GONE BACK AND DELTED THE PICS.

THANK YOU AGAIN.

loriana Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 9:15am
post #20 of 25
Quote:

She wrote back to me:

Quote:
Quote:

I see. I thank you for the info. I DID DO A POSTING SAY THAT THE LAST 2 CAKES WERE JUST PICTURES OF WHAT I COULD DO. BUT I DO UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM. THANK YOU. I HAVE OVER 14YEARS IN THE BAKERY BUSINESS AND I WOULD NOT WANT SOMEONE TAKING CREDIT FOR SOMETHING I DID. SO I DO APOLOGIZE. I HAVE GONE BACK AND DELTED THE PICS.

THANK YOU AGAIN.

weirdness....... icon_confused.gif

Michelle104 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 9:24am
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriana

Quote:

She wrote back to me:

Quote:
Quote:

THANK YOU AGAIN.

yyyyep! and now the second link is removed as well....

weirdness....... icon_confused.gif

sweet_T7 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 9:56am
post #22 of 25

HMMMMM.....14 years in the bakery business and only 2 photos to show for it??

Jocmom Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:28pm
post #23 of 25

Okay . . . the red and white cake is back in her ad. She took out the pictures that actually looked homemade. (remember the one with the people in scrubs sitting around the table holding a cake? - gone!)

If nothing else, this woman appears to be a slow learner. Someone is going to spot their cake on her site and all tapedshut.gif will break loose.

gailsgoodies Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:25pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sari66

They reposted: http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/for/760763879.html

I'm actually emailing them...

Quote:
Quote:

Hi,

I thought I would tell you the reason that your ad probably got deleted. The photos that you posted are not cakes that you made. The white fondant with the red writing and the tiered cake with the scrolls and pearls were both made by a lady named Karen Armstrong of the Manassas Cakery. It's not considered polite to post photos of someone else's work unless you give them credit for the work...a cake like that is a ton of work and posting a photo of it to try to get business for yourself is a form of stealing. Besides, advertising that you don't use any fondant and displaying a photo of a fondant-covered cake is rather odd.

Why don't you repost with photos of your own work? That would be a better idea, because then you won't be promising things that you can't deliver.

Oh, and if you do decide to branch out into using fondant, which is a good idea in our climate, I have a very good recipe that is cheap to make and tastes good. You can flavor it, too.

Judi

That was the most respectful, non-confrontational, and helpful email I have ever seen in this regard. I wish more people were like you!! Good work!! thumbs_up.gif

loriemoms Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 7:03pm
post #25 of 25

the original post is gone...anyone have it to share? (guess someone complained to Craigs List)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%