Gritty Buttercream

Decorating By stampinron Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 2:38pm by mama5kiddos

stampinron Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:54am
post #1 of 8

I haven't had this problem before, but I made a large batch of buttercream and it came out gritty. Is there any way to remedy it?

It is 1/2 crisco, 1/2 butter.

7 replies
pottedmeatchunks Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:37am
post #2 of 8

I'm not sure about gritty...but it sounds like it may be your powdered sugar. Sometimes if powdered sugar is real old or just a nasty brand (I hate greatland PS) then it will have little nasty dried up balls in it that will be all in your buttercream. Make sure you use a fresh bag, also another tip is do not pour in all of your liquid and then your sugar on top of that. Cream butter and shortening, add some of the sugar, and then add your liquids intermittent as needed with more sugar. Thats another way to avoid making your own hardened sugar balls from the sugar absorbing up all the vanilla/milk and getting hard.

lapazlady Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:47am
post #3 of 8

Try adding a bit of glycerin to the BC. This might do the trick for you. HTH

grami948 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:53am
post #4 of 8

You might want to try sifting your powdered sugar & using 10x as well if you've done that before. The sifting will take out any lumps & sometimes I end up sifting out little bits of hard sugar that I never would have seen. If you've sifted & used 10x, then I'm interested in what happened as well. icon_lol.gif HTH

stampinron Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:21pm
post #5 of 8

It must be because I put all the liquid in at first, then the PS. Thank you for your help. I sifted my PS, but you never know. What does 10X mean?

stampinron Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 8

LisaR64 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:11am
post #7 of 8

10X is powdered sugar. I had the same problem with gritty icing. I found a couple hints on here that really helped. The first is to slowly add the PS, one cup at a time, mixing in between. When all of the PS has been added, then continue mixing on low or medium for another 8 to 10 minutes. Since I started doing that, I rarely ever have gritty icing anymore. The other thing I found that helped is to use all butter instead of butter & Crisco.

mama5kiddos Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 8

One thing that I have learned, is to read the "ingredients" on the powdered sugar label. It SHOULD say "sugar, cornstarch". But some brands (like Walmart brand) use BEET sugar...stay away from the beet sugar, it's more gritty. After I learned of this, I stick to only C&H brand!

Quote by @%username% on %date%