I'm Falling Apart! Help!

Decorating By AllCakedOut Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 11:02am by iownajane

AllCakedOut Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:00am
post #1 of 30

I'm young enough where posting about this makes me feel really silly.. but I've GOT to do something!

Today was a particularly gruelling day. Two wedding cakes this weekend, both to be delivered FRIDAY (a rare thing for me for even 1, nevermind both). On my feet all day, lots of external stress, etc.

I got home tonight and my legs completely gave out. Literally. Have been having a problem with sore hips lately, but this is nuts. It's a nasty pain from across my lower back, around my hips, down the fronts of my quads, and then my calves and ankles. I NEVER get swollen anything, but my lower legs were supoer swollen and painful when I got home. Felt a bit better to lay on my back with my legs up on the couch, but not perfect by any means.

I'm not getting accustomed to standing all day, and it's really taking a toll. I guess my "How do I" is two part:

How do I prevent this from happening?

How do I make the pain go away faster when it does?

Thanks!

29 replies
AllCakedOut Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:05am
post #2 of 30

Can being dehydrated make this worse? I just realized that I pounded back a big bottle of water in less than 2 minutes without even thinking about it.. my 4th in like 2 hours.

jamhays Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:08am
post #3 of 30

you may need to have a doctor check it out. You could have a clot or something else.

LeckieAnne Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:09am
post #4 of 30

Do you have falling arches? It makes a huge difference on my legs and back if I wear nice firm arch supports in my shoes when I'm on my feet at all times. I had to stop running around and cleaning my house barefoot. I was, at one point, literally crawling to bed at night because after I sat down, I couldn't walk any more. The arch supports cleared it up after a few weeks. But you have to wear them all time. Any good stiff one will do (not soft squishy gel ones). They're not too expensive at the drug store -- give them a try!

Good luck!

Molly2 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:10am
post #5 of 30

I'm sorry but when your on your feet for so long and not used to it things hurt

Molly

NikkiDoc Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:19am
post #6 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeckieAnne

Do you have falling arches? It makes a huge difference on my legs and back if I wear nice firm arch supports in my shoes when I'm on my feet at all times. I had to stop running around and cleaning my house barefoot. I was, at one point, literally crawling to bed at night because after I sat down, I couldn't walk any more. The arch supports cleared it up after a few weeks. But you have to wear them all time. Any good stiff one will do (not soft squishy gel ones). They're not too expensive at the drug store -- give them a try!

Good luck!

LeckieAnne, is this how it feels when your arches are falling? My left foot has terrible problems. If I wear supportive shoes it helps alot, but flip flops, little nothing sandals and such summer wear is killing me. When I get up from sitting I hobble around can't put any weight on it at all or I could possibly just fall down. After I get going it gets a little better. If I wear bad shoes, I get terrible shooting pains through the heel (not the arch though) bad enough to take my breath away. Recently I've noticed that it's not as bad since I've been wearing better shoes most of the time. Guess I need to get to the foot doc!

carrietyler Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:23am
post #7 of 30

my mom has the problem of pain after she has been sitting for a while and she has heel spurs.

Nikki229 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:27am
post #8 of 30

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

Actually, heel spurs are usually caused by falling arches. But they don't actually hurt - it's the muscle in the arch that hurts. And makes the legs and back hurt too. It is worse after sitting - especially if you're legs are "hanging" (not touching the floor). And, it does get better after you walk around a bit. The only flip flops I wear now are some I got at Cabella's that do have some arch support.

Although -- if you're good for a while - wear them all day and don't walk around barefoot (like at least a month) -- you can get them better enough that you can be barefoot in the evenings again. But if I don't be good - it comes back and I have to start over.

Good luck!

NikkiDoc Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:29am
post #9 of 30

Oh no...great...my sister has those and they give her a fit. I was hoping that's not what it is, but I think it is. Thanks Carrie.

Nikki229 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:29am
post #10 of 30

Oh - falling arches is actually called "plantar fasciitis". Look it up for more info if you want.

NikkiDoc Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:32am
post #11 of 30

Thanks Nikki229. I definitely need to get it n checked. I don't want the cortisone shots, though. My sis had those, didn't really help much. I had one in my arch years ago for a torn ligament. It was horror!

lu9129 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:35am
post #12 of 30

I have plantar fasciitis.

My foot doctor told me before I attempt to get out of bed in the morning to do the ABC's with my feet in the air.
Literally write my abc's. I don't know if it really helps, but I sure am getting darned good at my abc's!!!!!!!!!! lol!!!!

It's supposed to stretch everything out so that it doesn't hurt so much standing!!!

HTH

Lu

Tootall Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:36am
post #13 of 30

I'm a healthy 26 year old, and I have flat feet. I LOVE to go around barefoot, but if I stand on our hard tile floors all day doing cakes or whatever, by the end of the day, my ankles and calves are killing me. Like pains shooting through my legs and it takes a full night's rest to get them to feeling better. So I have to wear my good sneakers when I'm baking. Sucks, but I sure do feel better at the end of the day! If you're dehydrated, I imagine your muscles would be weaker. Drink, drink, drink, girl! You're working out, you need water icon_wink.gif

shanasweets Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:48am
post #14 of 30

first dehydration plays a big part. You can swell up and be dehydrated, because your body is "saving" fluid. This will happen esp in heat and you drink alot of soda. When we moved a few years ago 2000 miles we lived off of pepsi and mountain dew, by day 3 I had boats for feet and they hurt terribly..

2nd planter facitis can be an issue, you can get arch supports, I had )custom supports mad (300.00 though). Also had splints I wore to be to stretch the facia. they also say freezing a water bottle and rolling your arch across this helps.

above all else. you need to see a doctor, whether this was a one time incident, or other problems raising its head. It is better to get it checked out. could have some inflammation in legs/ hips that the standing flarred up. Make sure when you are standing alot, you still move around. And maybe you could use a bar stool or something at times, as to take weight off your legs. please see a doctor though, you never know if could be something more serous, I am a nurse, so I know a little. God Bless

AllCakedOut Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 11:07am
post #15 of 30

Hey guys

Thanks for all the inpuut! I'm not sure it's falling arches though - my arches fell several years ago, then went back to normal a couple years ago. Kinda freakish, but whatever. This isn't the same kinda pain from when they fell the first time.

I was wearing sport type sandals with no support at all though (It was SO hot yesterday, and worse in the kitchen!).. so that was probably a really stupid move. I'll suck it up and wear tennis shoes today and see how it goes.

I'll drink more water, too icon_smile.gif I hate pop though,so that's not an issue for me!

I think the hip issue is a root cause for it. I don't think it's anything major. I've gotten in the habit of sitting / sleeping weird, so my right hip gets turned under my butt (if that makes sense). Hurts in the morning/daytime, the habit of it has me sitting weird in my truck (same hip turned under, so I'm sorta sitting on my left cheek and side of my ride hip at the same time. I'll definitely be working on not doing that.

Mike1394 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:26pm
post #16 of 30

Bummer sorry your in pain. I've had both my hips replaced. I know about leg pain.

Heel spurs= an inflammation at the attach point of the tendon to the heel bone. To get rid of it/ stop it from occuring. Stretch the bottom of your foot. Hang your toes off of a step, drop your heels as far as you can go. Do that once a day.

Yes, lack of water can make your legs very tired. They are your biggest muscle group. Becareful on drinking so much water at one time though. I'm assuming your standing on a hard flat surface all day? You need to try, and stretch out your legs a lil bit. Just put one leg behind youas far as you can go, put it on the floor, and lean forward.

Mike

tiggy2 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:45pm
post #17 of 30

You might try Z-coil shoes. I have the same problem with lower back pain and my hips hurt all the time. It started when I was working on concrete floors 8 hours a day and hasn't improved. I bought the Z-coils and after a few days I wasn't in pain any more. They aren't very "pretty" and they are expensive but they are worth every penny if yu are in pain.

missym Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:05pm
post #18 of 30

I have a real bad left foot as well and it stems from plantar fasiitis, but your symptoms do sound a lot different. You really should check with your doctor. For those of you who suffer from plantar fasiitis or a heel spur, I have found that the stretches before getting up help a lot. And something my foot doctor has had me do is using a golf ball to roll around under my foot in the arch. I had cortisone shot that just about killed me prior for two days, but then it has been great. My orthodics and new balance shoes are the only way to go for me.

I hope you feel better soon!

AllCakedOut Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:01pm
post #19 of 30

Just wanted to check in:

I feel fine this morning!

The really miserable pain went away overnight, now all I have is the same dull hip pain from before.. not a big deal. I've been wearing tennis shoes since I got up early early this morning, and it's all good so far

(but I'll need something potent to drink after the looong afternoon of deliveries - over 200 miles full trip, 2 cakes. Ugh.)

Mike1394 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:06pm
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCakedOut

Just wanted to check in:

The really miserable pain went away overnight, now all I have is the same dull hip pain from before.. not a big deal. I've been wearing tennis shoes since I got up early early this morning, and it's all good so far

(but I'll need something potent to drink after the looong afternoon of deliveries - over 200 miles full trip, 2 cakes. Ugh.)

Glad ya feel better. Those 200 mile round trippers are a good reason to find a fantastic rum cake recipe. Hehehehehe.

Good luck,

Mike

loriemoms Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 9:59pm
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by lu9129

I have plantar fasciitis.

My foot doctor told me before I attempt to get out of bed in the morning to do the ABC's with my feet in the air.
Literally write my abc's. I don't know if it really helps, but I sure am getting darned good at my abc's!!!!!!!!!! lol!!!!

It's supposed to stretch everything out so that it doesn't hurt so much standing!!!

HTH

Lu

I also have plantar Fiscitis and my doctor has me roll my feet on a large can before I get out of bed. It helps a lot.

But this helped more then anything!

http://www.footsmart.com/P-FootSmart-Plantar-Fasciitis-Support-10102.aspx

The look silly, but THEY WORK! I wear them all day long and I haven't had any heal pain in months. You can wear them with slippers or flip flops...I even wore them with tennis shoes.

loriemoms Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:01pm
post #22 of 30
Quote:

Just wanted to check in:

You might want to find a good chiropractor. I go every 6 weeks and he gives me his "chef treatment" (I just love that he calls it that!) where he cracks my lower back and my hips and my shoulders. (really feels good after all that fondant rolling!)

playingwithsugar Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:16pm
post #23 of 30

The hip pain sounds like sciatica - of which I am an expert - of the symptoms, anyway. It's worse during PMS week.

As for being on the feet all day - I went to the auto parts store and bought foam cushions to stand on, the kind mechanics use in front of their workbenches. I paid about 9 bucks a set, bought two sets, and lined the edge of my kitchen cabinets, and extended an extra pair out in front of the sink and stove.

I don't give a hoot how unsightly it looks, they work! I can stand and wash dishes or cook for up to an hour without leg fatigue or without my knees hurting.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

KrisD13 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 3:37am
post #24 of 30

I was having trouble with falling arches a few years ago. A professional dancer friend of mine showed me what to do to get them back into shape.

I did this exercise for about a week, maybe once or twice a day, and it worked great. Now I will do it about once a month just for "maintenance". Otherwise I was being told that I'd need to get the expensive shoes and inserts, too.

Funny how doctors look at you like you're evil after you fix a problem without them, huh? What's with that? Isn't it better if you can heal yourself without all those expensive extras? icon_confused.gif

bcake1960 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:21am
post #25 of 30

Ok I am not a Dr. but I have the same problem and asked my Otho about this... He told me to take Advil or ibuprofen before you start and during and then after... you need to stay on top of it... I always take Advil before I start a cake and since have done what he said and I think it has helped Immensely..

LeckieAnne Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:40am
post #26 of 30

I'm certainly not a dr., but I don't think long term continued use of ibuprofin is good for you. I've been hearing a lot about the side effects - especially of aleve.

menina Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:45am
post #27 of 30

In full disclosure- my husband is a chiropractor, but I have to say that going to a good chiropractor will work wonders! I don't know what I would do without my chiropractor (hehe!) I've had him work on wrist pain lower back pain, neck pain, pregnancy pain... well... you get the picture. It would also definitely help to find a chiropractor who can get you a good S.I. belt. SerolaBelt (dot) com is a web site I would recomend. Using a belt helps lower back, hips and many other things, especially for someone who spends long hours on their feet.
Good Luck- I hope you find something that works!
Whitney

mjballinger Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:46am
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeckieAnne

I'm certainly not a dr., but I don't think long term continued use of ibuprofin is good for you. I've been hearing a lot about the side effects - especially of aleve.

Please pay attentino to this post! LeckieAnne is right. I used to take advil quite a bit for my back and I ended up having emergency surgery for a perforated ulcer. They actually said that it was an NSAID induced ulcer. Advil and Aleve are major culprits - ibuprofen I mean, I don't want to pick on one name brand.

kimmypooh79 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 5:08am
post #29 of 30

I have the exact same problem. I do not have it everyday but anytime I am on my feet for a long period of time It starts in the hips then spreads like yours. My diagnoses was, 2 protruding discs, mild spinal stenosis, and a sciatica problem. There was more but I can't remember. I do have permanent restrictions now though.

iownajane Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:02am
post #30 of 30
Quote:

I'm young enough where posting about this makes me feel really silly.. but I've GOT to do something!

Today was a particularly gruelling day. Two wedding cakes this weekend, both to be delivered FRIDAY (a rare thing for me for even 1, nevermind both). On my feet all day, lots of external stress, etc.

I got home tonight and my legs completely gave out. Literally. Have been having a problem with sore hips lately, but this is nuts. It's a nasty pain from across my lower back, around my hips, down the fronts of my quads, and then my calves and ankles. I NEVER get swollen anything, but my lower legs were supoer swollen and painful when I got home. Felt a bit better to lay on my back with my legs up on the couch, but not perfect by any means.

I'm not getting accustomed to standing all day, and it's really taking a toll. I guess my "How do I" is two part:

How do I prevent this from happening?

How do I make the pain go away faster when it does?

Thanks!

I'm 53,and have been running and doing aerobics and weights for OMG over 30 years...have had what sounds like similar hip pain...this past winter was hell..it went away...but there were days when I couldn't move..
I THINK it's all muscular/tendons/ligaments...probably from overuse...in your case you're standing and reaching and carrying...and tense at the same time...
Can you see an osteopath and get them to check if you're "aligned"..sometimes things get so tight that there can be quite a difference from one side to ther other..so it pulls on your lower back and across the hip bones,and then down your legs like you mentioned...it was explained to me that even though the lower shin or foot hurt,it was coming from the hip area...they can work it out,and show you stretches to do...
make sure you're getting enough potassium,and enough protein in your diet....and DRINK ...water

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%