Poll: Refrigerate Or Not?

Decorating By gr8_seamstress Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 6:11pm by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

gr8_seamstress Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:11am
post #1 of 20

That is the question.........When using milk in Buttercream................
Who stores thier Buttercream in the refrigerator?
Who leaves it out at room temp?

19 replies
foxymomma521 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:24am
post #2 of 20

There is enough sugar in your BC to keep it stable at room temp. You can leave it out... icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:26am
post #3 of 20

RT

KeltoKel Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:29am
post #4 of 20

Room temp here. I use whipping cream instead of milk.

Mike1394 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:36am
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeltoKel

Why WC with the higher fat content has a shorter self life than milk.

Mike

luelue1971 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:41am
post #6 of 20

room temp too

fiddlesticks Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:43am
post #7 of 20

room temp too also !!!

PinkZiab Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:52am
post #8 of 20

I refrigerate ALL of my cakes, no exceptions.

indydebi Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:24am
post #9 of 20

I keep it on the counter. The only two times I've had icing problems is when I've refrigerated the cakes, so I never put my cakes in the 'frig, either.

danijus Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:25am
post #10 of 20

I leave it at room temp too. But I don't use much milk

BakingJeannie Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:10pm
post #11 of 20

For decorators icing I use the half and half and refrigerate. When I am ready to use it, I allow it come to room temperature. Likewise with my SMBC. icon_smile.gif

aswartzw Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:19pm
post #12 of 20

RT!

yayadesigns Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:50pm
post #13 of 20

I have adjusted my recipe to include the non-dairy coffee creamer like Sugarshack uses, but I still refrigerate. I do allow it to come to RT when I am ready to use it and then once the cakes are finished, back in the fridge they go!

sari66 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:10pm
post #14 of 20

room temp for Me

KeltoKel Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 8:26pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeltoKel

Why WC with the higher fat content has a shorter self life than milk.

Mike

Because I like the taste of whipping cream, that is why.

I know many people on CC who use whipping cream as well. I have never had a problem with it spoiling.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5939055-.html#5939055

loriemoms Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 9:31pm
post #16 of 20

I use whole milk in my BC and keep it at RT for up to a week. After that, I trash it.

Cakes? For all buttercream cakes, no gum paste, they go into the fridge. Easier to delivery a cold cake then a warm one!

EnjoyTheCake Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 6:49am
post #17 of 20

I store all my BC in the fridge. When it's time to ice a cake I let it come to room temperature, ice the cake, then depending on what I'm doing with the cake I'll freeze the cake, keep it in the fridge or let it sit on the counter or table. But if I know I'm not using the BC for a day or 2, it goes back in the fridge.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:15am
post #18 of 20

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I think it's a related question: for how long do you generally store your frosting (or what's the longest you've had it in the refrigerator, or on your counter, and it was still good?)?

loriemoms Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:53pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I think it's a related question: for how long do you generally store your frosting (or what's the longest you've had it in the refrigerator, or on your counter, and it was still good?)?

I really think it depends on your recipe! If you are using a BC with a lot of butter, I wouldn't keep it more then a few days (in the fridge) as I think the butter starts to get funky tasting. If you are more of a shortening person, it will stay around much longer! (I don't use just one recipe..I have Premium icings and regular icings) I have found that royal icing only stays good for a week or two...(it just seems to get too thick) If I have a really neat color that I made too much of and want to use it for a border, I will put it in plastic containers, and stick it in the freezer..I keep that for a month.

I go through so much BC, it rarely lasts around here even more then a few days. I do have a few colors for writing names on a cake or for doing shell work. They are already bagged and tipped sitting in a little holder..I keep those around about a week as well on the counter.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 6:11pm
post #20 of 20

Thanks, Loriemoms.

I'm a hobbyist and I just found two air-tight containers of BC in the back of one of my refrigerators that are from June 20th. One is BC Dream and the other is WBH. I guess I'll just have to taste them. I have an order for a neighbor and hate to see food (yes, cake and icing are considered food! icon_wink.gif ) go to waste. I think that I'll just whip up some SMBC for her cake though. Oh well. Don't want to take any chances.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%