How Do I Make A Ball Of Yarn?

Decorating By Ruby2uesday Updated 18 Jul 2008 , 4:46am by Ruby2uesday

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:03am
post #1 of 11

My vets bday is this month and i was going to try to make a ball of yarn kitten. any help would be great! THANKS!!!!

10 replies
andromedaslove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andromedaslove Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:18am
post #2 of 11

Are you talking about something like this? This is from the Debbie Brown book "50 party cakes". In the book it says this:

To make the strands of wool, roll long, thin sausages of sugarpaste (fondant) and stick over the cake with sugar glue. Apply 6 or 7 strands right across the top of the cake, from the botom all the way round to the base at the other side. Cover two remaining sides with diagonal strands which will leave a small triangular shape uncovered at the base. Cover this with vertical strands. Roll a few extra strands and stick them randomly over the cake.

Hope this helps!!

Dana

Ruby2uesday Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:24am
post #3 of 11

Thanks Dana!!! so you'd use a sports ball right? and what's sugar glue??? it's soooo cute! icon_smile.gif

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:28am
post #4 of 11

Sugar glue is a mixture of gum paste and water make sure your water is warm when you mix it

Molly2

Larie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larie Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:33am
post #5 of 11

you could use an extruder to make sure your strands were even.

Ruby2uesday Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:10am
post #6 of 11

Molly, so i'd b/c the sports ball first right? then use sugarglue and fondant ropes???

Larie.... i so want an extruder! would have made for a better tassel on my grad cap.

Molly2 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:26am
post #7 of 11

Cover your cake with BC the cover with fondant after that make your yarn and use the suger glue to stick it to the fondant on your ball I hope this helps

Molly2

Ruby2uesday Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:49am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2

Cover your cake with BC the cover with fondant after that make your yarn and use the suger glue to stick it to the fondant on your ball I hope this helps

Molly2

Oh molly! Thanks! i wouldn't have thought to cover it w/ fondant first and then the yarn! thanks for the tips!!!! ruby

andromedaslove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andromedaslove Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:07am
post #9 of 11

Yeah, you want to cover the sports ball pan in BC, then it says to cover with a thin layer of fondant. Don't worry if the covering is untidy because it will be hidden later under the strands of yarn. Another tip the book says is to create a smooth crack free sausage shape, roll a small piece of paste into a ball, then gently roll over the work surface, stretching along the length. Don't press down too hard or you wil flatten the sugarpste. Use icing sugar (powdered sugar) to prevent sticking.

Hope this helps.

Dana

Molly2 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:13am
post #10 of 11

Make sure your fondant that you cover your ball in is the same color as your yarn

Molly2

Ruby2uesday Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:46am
post #11 of 11

Thanks Ladies!!! i can't wait to try it! i have family stuff until Saturday but plan on trying it after that!!! can't wait to show pics!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%