Tall Billboard Cake ... Stressing Out And Need Some Advise

Decorating By ashley_w_101

ashley_w_101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashley_w_101 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 1

Hello all,

I am trying to plan for an upcoming groomâs cake. The bride wants the cake to be a billboard sign. They have prepared a large billboard stand equipped with working lights to hold the groomâs cake. She has given me precise measurements for the cake, but I am a little questionable about the stability of such a tall cake. The measurements for the cake board must be 10 x 22 inches. I told her I could make the cake 8 x 20, and when iced, it should be around 9 x 21 leaving some room to grab/hold the board. The height for the cake needs to be 12 in. tall. I have made tiered cakes, and I understand how to stack tiers using the proper dowel supports, I am just not sure how to execute a cake this tall using the same sized tiers.

Would it be safe to stack 3 layers of cake, add dowel rods and a piece of cardboard and stack 3 more layers on top, or should I stack only 2 layers at a time and use 2 pieces of cardboard? (Of course, I would also add one dowel rod through the entire cake for more support.) How do I make a cake with such precise measurements? If I make 6 cakes that are 2 inches each, that already equals 12 inches of cake without taking icing into account. Maybe I should make 5 two in. cakes and cross my fingers that with icing it would equal 12 inches in height. Has anyone transported a cake this tall with equal sized tiers? Is it safe?

Iâm sorry for all of the questions, Iâm just stressing out a little bit. If this has made any sense whatsoever, and you have any advice, I would be grateful for some help. Thank you!

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%