Help! Mmf Keeps Tearing-No Time For New

Decorating By spunkybear Updated 22 Jul 2008 , 2:16am by spunkybear

spunkybear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spunkybear Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 10

I need some great advice here..I underestimated the amount of fondant for this cake and had to make another batch very early this morning. It has sat for at least 10 hrs as of now. The only thing I have added is the coloring. (I use Americolor)
I have rolled it out 3 times and the )(*^% keeps tearing in the worst way. I have added and use shortning for my rolling out. Could I have added too much? It is to cover a 6inchX4 high cake, not that it matters, but I'm not trying to cover Mt. Rushmore here....
It's getting to be crunch time....
Has anyone ever used their MMF right after making it? I do have time to make another batch but I thought it had to sit for 24hrs??

9 replies
mc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mc Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:30am
post #2 of 10

I have used the MMF right away without any problems. But I have had problems in the past when I have used too much crisco to kneading and rolling. I would suggest to use as little as you can get away with using. Good luck.

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:04am
post #3 of 10

When my MMF tears, it is usually because I've gotten it too moist(add PS) or rolled it too thin. HTH

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:38pm
post #4 of 10

I have used it right away as well, and the only difference I've found is that it can be stickier and more apt to tear. But in a pinch we do what we have to do...

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 10

I use it as soon as I make it. Try kneading in some more ps. It sounds like it's too sticky. That happens to me when I make black or any that requires a lot of Americolor to color it.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 10

hmmm...you should only need one batch of fondant for a 6" cake...unless you used it for some other cakes and had leftover?then I understand

I find that in the heat and humidity that MMF does NOT work for me...it doesn't matter what I do with shortening/powdered sugar it just never works for me...I know that doesn't sound promising...but if it is tearing then you need more ps and maybe put it in the fridge for a little bit to firm it up. just because you've said that it has only been 10 hours for the fondant to rest...I would say to do these things because the fondant hasn't settled yet.

Good luck!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 10

Use cornstarch! No more Crisco. Cornstarch is the only thing to save MMF for me.

Also, are you trying to carry your MMF or rolling it up on your pin to transfer it or is your issue way before that?

First time I used MMF, I used it right after making.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:21pm
post #8 of 10

Next time you make it add some glycerin, it helps w/ elasticity. You can also try adding some now, it won't hurt, but if it seems sticky add some PS.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:32pm
post #9 of 10

Both glycerine and cornstarch are a must when using a lot of food color.

I add the glycerine to the melted MMs along with the food color, then I add about 1/4 c cornstarch as I'm stirring in the PS. But you can knead them in to a batch that's already been made. I've had the same issue with both Wilton and Americolor for balck, red and brown.

And yes, you can use MMF right after it's made.

spunkybear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spunkybear Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:16am
post #10 of 10

Yes the cake was more than the 6inch, that is what I had left to cover. It was the gift box on the top of a stack. I ended up doing just the sides in a wrap around version. It worked out (thank goodness) fine because the seam across the edge was covered with (gumpaste tissue paper and flowers).

Macsmom---how much glycerine do you add and do you put it in when you melt the MM or stir it in after?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%