European Sponge Cake???

Decorating By chovest Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 12:39pm by chovest

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 8

I had a friend of mine call and ask for a sheet cake for two individual's shared b-days. One wants chocolate (easy enough.) The other loves European Sponge cake. (I plan to bake them separately and place next to each other to decorate.) I let her know I have never made it before, but would do my best to find a recipe (and make up a test batch to try it out first of course.) She said it's a sponge cake (obviously) with pudding in it. I have searched the recipe section here as well as some other favorite recipe and info sites and cannot find anything that matches her description. Before I call her back and ask for a second choice I thought I'd ask here. I'm sure someone here has had a similar request and can point me to a "tried and true" recipe. Thanks to anyone willing to share.

Carrie

7 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 8

Europe's a big place, with hundreds of different cultures and 'kitchens'. A cake cake in Italy won't be the same as a cake in The Czech Republic, for example.

It's like saying one wants an 'American cake'.

chovest Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 8

I understand what you mean.

Anyone else icon_smile.gif

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 8

I don't know if this helps but check out this website http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes
The recipes are by UK based Delia Smith and her cakes are quite good.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 8

I've made the Victoria Sponge, as follows:
Victoria Sponge Ingredients
285g Self-raising flour
2.5 teaspoons (12.5ml) Baking powder
285g Margarine
285g Caster Sugar
5 Eggs
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a large bowl
- Add all the other ingredients into the bowl
- Using an electric whisk beat the ingredients together, starting slowly then medium until you get a smooth, creamy consistency
- Divide the mixture between the two sandwich tins and bake at 170 degrees centigrade (340 degrees Fahrenheit) for 30-40 minutes. The cake should be springy to the touch.
- When cooked immediately turn out onto a wire rack.
(When turning out the cakes onto the wire rack, try turning one out onto a solid surface (like a chopping board) and then put it on the wire rack so that the top of the cake does not get the marks from the wire rack. This will make it look much better.)

Use 2 - 8" rounds (sandwich tins), greased & lined.

I used butter instead of margarine, and the measurements convert to US as:
285g = 1.20 cups (just shy of 1 1/4 cups)

And lastly, caster sugar is fine sugar for us. Had to look that one up!! icon_biggrin.gif

I used whipped cream & fresh fruit, but you can fill with jam, custard, pudding, fruit, buttercream. Traditionally you don't frost all around the cake, but check with the client, she may well want it frosted completely. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1237111

Hope it goes well for you!!!

chovest Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 9:32pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks, I'll check it out to see if it has anything like what she asked for.

chovest Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 9:41pm
post #7 of 8

Homemade Goodies:

Thank you so much! I have never tried this type of cake, yet a 16 yo boy wants it for his birthday. Kind of cute I thought. She does want it decorated like a regular sheet cake. I plan to do a test tonight. Thanks.

chovest Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:39pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks to everyone for your help. Here is the finished cake if you're interested.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1246942&done=1

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%