Quick Baking Question...please Help Me!!!

Decorating By aprilcake Updated 18 Jul 2008 , 4:31am by marccrand

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 6

Hi!

I am making a wedding cake tomorrow and its for Saturday. I have plenty of time to decorate it on Saturday but here is my question, if I bake tomorrow night, do I have to icing it then or can I wait until Saturday? I am guessing they will get dry if I just leave the un-iced cakes out so I thought...could I wrap them in saran/plastic wrap until the next day...or can you only do that if you put them in the freezer? I am just trying to figure out a way where I can bake tomorrow and ice the next day. Please help me! Also, if I can saran wrap them and wait until saturday to ice and decorate, how long after taking them out of the oven before I wrap them and set them aside? my freezer/fridge is too small to hold them btw!

April :0)

5 replies
marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 6

Let's see if I can answer everything.

I almost always bake one day and then ice the next day. I just don't have time to do all that in addition to my regular day job in one day. I bake, cool, wrap in saran wrap, and leave it on the dining room table overnight (it's actually better the 2nd day). When you unwrap, let it set for 15-30 minutes to dry out the surface just a little bit. That will help your icing adhere and also help prevent blowouts.

To answer your other questions - yes, leaving a cake out uniced and unsaran-wrapped would dry it out. If you'll be short on time closer to the due-date, you can bake ahead of time, then wrap it up and freeze it.

You're brave to decorate the same day it's due! I always seem to have some snafu and it takes longer than I think it will. So now I decorate the day before and have it ready for delivery the day of. Sometimes I don't get any sleep at all! icon_cry.gif

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 6

I always bake a couple of days ahead and freeze my cakes now....it adds CrAzY moisture for me. If I leave a cake out overnight. I put them in my plastic airtight cake containers so they don't dry out. I also usually do most of my decorating the day before. I save the delivery date for any last minute things that might happen. It just works out better for me. Good luck!

Cynita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynita Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 6

If a cake is due for Saturday, I bake and freeze Thursday, Ice and Decorate Friday, and like marccrand and milissasmom save the last day for delivery and touch ups or something like that.
In your case, since you don't have room to freeze them, I would bake and ice them in the same day and place them in boxes. The following day, I'll decorate.
Cynita

NayNay2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NayNay2 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 6

OK quick question for those who decorate the day before due I'd be worried either 1 of my kids or dogs would get at it or just dust?? do you cover them I'm curious now. I always save the decorating til the day of and your right its stressful at times to try and finish.

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:31am
post #6 of 6

Well, I only have a roommate and I don't really worry about her swiping at the frosting icon_lol.gif , but I guess if I did I would just make sure to keep it somewhere safe?

And I don't think dust would really be an issue for overnight. But if you live in the country and that's a concern, I guess you'd need to cover it with something. But it couldn't be airtight, the moisture would affect your icing. Maybe more like a tent?

Hopefully some of the others who have learned how to deal with these variables can help more than I did!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%