Wilton Classes - Courses #2-4 And Others

Decorating By sweet_2th_fairy Updated 18 Jul 2008 , 4:07am by Juds2323

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 5

I am currently taking Course #1 and I understand that it is a prerequisite for other classes. However, I have a few questions:
1. Do you have to take Courses #2-4 in order? (i.e. must complete Course #2 in order to take #3, must complete both Courses #2 and #3 in order to take #4?)
2. Do you have to take all Courses #1-4 to take other "special" courses (i.e. Fondant and Gum Paste course)?
3. For those of you that have taken these courses, did you really find them to be helpful or is better to learn online or purchasing DVD's?

4 replies
Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 5

Courses 2,3,4 can be taken in any order you wish. The Wilton company is even renaming them to remove the numbers. After course I you may take any of the other courses. I am a WMI so I'll leave question 3 for others to answer. I hope you're enjoying Course I icon_smile.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 5

I took course 1, and then course 2 was not being offered the next month. So I took the Fondant/Gumpaste course next (the only pre-requisite for it is course 1). Then, I took course 2. I plan to take course 3 next month as that's the next time it's being offered. I would take the classes in order regarding 1 to 3, but you can take the fondant class after course one. The content is totally different. I like the hands-on of the classes (although I own all three Sugarshack DVDs and have learned a TON from Enda's Youtube videos) and having an instructor there to show you what you might be doing wrong. Just my opinion.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:40am
post #4 of 5

You can take the Fondant and Gumpaste course anytime after course one. There are alot of WMI's that actually teach it between 2 and 3 and I am considering that myself after the first of the year.

You can take 2 and 3 out of order, the only thing you may have problems with in C3, if you take it before C2, is the royal icing.

I have nothing against learning things online and from how to's. I've learned alot myself that way. BUT I do think that for alot of people it can be very helpful to get hands on help with things. In a class setting they can show you if you are holding your bag wrong or what to do to help make something come out better.

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:07am
post #5 of 5

I have taken all four course and I really enjoyed them. The fondant & gumpaste needs to be revamped a bit because a lot is duplicate of course 3. But I enjoyed it anyway..cuz heck it's a night away from the kiddos doing something I really enjoy and extra practice. I did find dvds and online stuff helpful as well. This place is a font of info. But I loved taking the classes.

HTH

Judi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%