Ahhh! Oven Broken!!

Decorating By Scibaker Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 6:46pm by loriemoms

Scibaker Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 7

Just have to vent a minute while on hold with Whirlpool. Whipped up a bunch of batter for a large baby shower cake and discovered my oven isn't working!!! I think the piolet light may be out. WHY??? I've been on hold now for more than 10 minutes. How long can I let the batter sit before I need to throw it out? I'm sticking it in the frig now. Sigh.

6 replies
CakesByJen2 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 7

Sorry about the oven! What a bummer...

About the batter, I have kept batter in the fridge for up to 24 hours and baked it without any problems.

Lindakbh Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 7

I read somewhere (Cake Bible maybe?) that if you are holding batter you should refrigerate it, but in the pans it will be baked in. I canât remember the exact reason why, though.

Good luck with the oven!

Mike1394 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 7

Did you check to see if it's out? Is it an electronic igniter?

Mike

Scibaker Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 7

Well, Whrilpool thinks it's the electronic ignition switch. I can light it manually but then for some reason the gas shuts off. Good thing this cake is for an understanding friend and not a paying client!

chovest Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 7

My Maytag did the same thing. Try repairclinic.com they have a trouble shooting guide and a how to section. I ordered one for my oven, had it in two days (they ship same day) and it cost me about $25. Good luck! Hope this helps. That site has saved me so much money on repairing appliances myself verses hiring someone or replacing them.

No, I am in no was affiliated with them. icon_wink.gif

loriemoms Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindakbh

I read somewhere (Cake Bible maybe?) that if you are holding batter you should refrigerate it, but in the pans it will be baked in. I canât remember the exact reason why, though.

Good luck with the oven!

I think because the batter kind of hardens a little on top...I have also put batter in the fridge for a few hours (I made too much and my oven was full, then I had to make dinner!) and it worked out fine. I let it sit in the room for about 10 minutes to get the chill off of it...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%