Wires In Cake

Decorating By ShayShay Updated 18 Jul 2008 , 1:48pm by ShayShay

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 7

There have been many cakes on here where there are wires sticking out of the top of the cake and stars, balls. flowers, etc. on them. I love the look of this and tried to do one with absolutely no sucess. Can anyone offer any instruction on how this is done? What type of wire, how the items stick to the wire, and how is it inserted into the cake. When I tried to do it, the balls fell off of the wire, the wire dropped down and eventually just fell out of the cake! It seemed like it would be easy but, "Nope!"

6 replies
tree45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tree45 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 7

You insert them into a straw or coffee stir stick you have already stuck in the cake. That's all I can help with!!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 7

To keep your balls from falling off make a small hook in the wire. Moisten the hook with either egg white or gum glue. Or you can use a ligher to heat the wire till its super hot. Insert the wire into your ball then pull down gently so the wire will grab inside your ball. Allow it to dry completely before putting in in your cake.

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 7

Ahhhh, great tip!! What kind of wire are you supposed to use? I heard that certain wires can cause lockjaw if it comes in contact with food?! icon_eek.gif

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 7

I haven't heard that before-though I guess I wouldn't doubt it. I use floral wire.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 10:13pm
post #6 of 7

I use 18-20 gauge floral wire for most things (but I'll go up or down depending on the decoration and effect I want), and i don't use straws or coffee stirrers, just stick right into the cake.

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:48pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%