Shoe Box Cake

Decorating By Cakeonista Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 10:06pm by Cakeonista

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:06pm
post #1 of 5

Hoping to get some tips.............i will be making my daughter's 21st birthday cake this week-end, looking to make a shoe box cake but im not sure what size pan is used for the box and how to make the top. i thought it was a layer of cake but read somewhere it was fondant or gumpaste? we are only about 15 people but want the box to be kinda actual size. Help please!!!

4 replies
Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 5

I am actually doing one right now! icon_biggrin.gif
I made a sort of small shoebox and used a 9" square cut in half (real shoeboxes are about 11" by 7"). I made the lid 2 days ago out of fondant. I drew around the cake tin and halved it on stiff card and made a lid template to put my fondant on, I covered the card in cling film which I crisco'ed and dusted with PS, then covered that with fondant the normal way and trimed around the edges to get the 'lid' shape. I decided to use smbc to ice the 'box' and it's been driving me crazy trying to get smooth corners!! I would defo recommend all fondant for it but my friend doesn't like too much sweetness so I went with the smbc argh!Image Lol!
Good luck! icon_smile.gif

danijus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danijus Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 5

I used a sheet cake pan and cut it to the size I needed.
For the lid I covered 1/2 inch foam board in fondant.

Zahrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahrah Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 5

just made one as well. Ditto what danijus said!

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 5

thank you so much for getting back to me....i appreciate all your help. i'll post my cake when its done. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%