How To Get Perfectly Smooth Icing

Decorating By stephmath Updated 18 Jul 2008 , 1:25am by tracey1970

stephmath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephmath Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 8

Hello! Could someone please give me advice on how to achieve perfectly smooth icing on the sides of round cakes using buttercream icing. Thanks

7 replies
Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 8

Hi and welcome! icon_smile.gif

Here's a link to the search forum area, type in 'smooth buttercream' and lots of good threads pop up icon_smile.gif
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-fsearch-results.html

And I must recommend one of our forum superstars DVD's icon_biggrin.gif
http://www.sugaredproductions.com/buttercreamdvd.html

The DVD has rave reviews from fellow CCer's!

I am new to the baking scene but the easiest way for me is a cake turn table and a bench scraper, just hold the scraper to the side of the cake and spin the table, taa daa! icon_biggrin.gif for the top I do the same but set the scraper in the middle, you get a bit of a 'whirl' in the center but it's still pretty smooth!
Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 8

Check out tonedna's tutorial on Youtube-how to ice a cake. It's great!

wjmonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wjmonte Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:24pm
post #4 of 8

sugarshack's bc dvd is the absolute bestwit, so good in fact you can get out your supplies adn ice a cake with it playing. she 's detailed, explains it perfectly and has wonderful tips and tricks.

www.sugaredproductions.com

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 8

nothing and I mean NOTHING beats Melvira's paint roller method! I've been doing cakes for 25 years ... just discovered this less than a year ago and I now wonder how I ever survived without it!!

I'm tellin' ya, you'll never use anything else once you experience the magic of melvira!! thumbs_up.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 8

Melvira's roller rocks but, if you want sharp corners you can't beat sugarshacks method she teaches on her DVD.

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 10:26pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmonte

sugarshack's bc dvd is the absolute bestwit, so good in fact you can get out your supplies adn ice a cake with it playing. she 's detailed, explains it perfectly and has wonderful tips and tricks.

www.sugaredproductions.com

Its worth every penny and if you have questions you can send her a pm and she is happy to help. She is the greatest.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:25am
post #8 of 8

I use both Melvira's method and Sugarshack's - both work wonderfully.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%