Just A Thought

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 2:06pm by cakebaker1957

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 13

Hi to all, i baked a 8in cake and a 6in cake are there any way that you can get a true white cake? when i bake they turn a golden brown on the outside this makes them harder to hide the brown beneath the icing , And i was just wondering if anyone out there does anything different i keep loading on the icing and i can still see brown underneath , i even bake at a lower temp but i still get a golden brown outside there moist but i have no clue as to how to get ride of the crust on the outside
Thanks

12 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:09pm
post #2 of 13

There is no way around this, but with a good even coat of frosting you shouldn't see anything underneath. If you still have problems, trim the "crust" off your cake before frosting it.

Mystery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mystery Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 13

I don't know of an exact method, but I just use a long knive and carve the edges. Seems to work pretty well! icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 13

I've never had it show through my icing so I'm wondering if your icing is thin. How thick of a layer are you putting on? I put on about a 1/4" and it covers everything.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:18pm
post #5 of 13

There's no way to avoid a brown crust on baked goods. The only way you can get a perfectly white cake is if you cook it in a steamer! Quite impractical and possibly disgusting. icon_wink.gif

For decades, bakers have been trimming away the outer crust. I think leaving it on is a recent phenomenon. This will present another potential problem - icing over freshly cut and very crumbly, cake.

If you apply your icing thick enough, you shouldn't be able to see the cake through it. I'm guessing your icing layer still isn't thick enough.

What if you were icing a chocolate cake? My point is, I think you need to adjust your layer of icing, not the color of the cake. thumbs_up.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:19pm
post #6 of 13

The only way to have no browned parts on your cakes is to trim them. If you can see the cake through the icing you don't have enough icing on your cake. If you are a little more generous with the icing you should not see anything through it. icon_smile.gif

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:22pm
post #7 of 13

What kind of icing are you using? As the PP mentioned above, a good coating of icing should cover all the "crust."

cakebaker1957 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:33pm
post #8 of 13

icon_wink.gif you know get out of shape, anyway thanks for the info

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:34pm
post #9 of 13

Of all the crazy absolutely amazing things we can do with cakes....And we can't bake a perfectly white cake icon_lol.gif

cakebaker1957 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:36pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoaBlondie

Of all the crazy absolutely amazing things we can do with cakes....And we can't bake a perfectly white cake icon_lol.gif

not on the outside anyways icon_rolleyes.gif Darn

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:52pm
post #11 of 13

After your post I went searching just out of curiosity and came across this page. I haven't tried anything she said as I just found her site, but her cake sure is white icon_lol.gif Hope this helps you!

http://www.thedabblingmum.com/recipes/kitchensecrets/cakesecrets.htm

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:55pm
post #12 of 13

I don't know if this makes sense. I am very new to all this, so I am no expert. I have a book on baking by Betty crocker. She says that lining the pan's sides and bottom with brown paper (I couldn't understand what this was either I thought you use wax or parchment paper) will get rid of the brown layer when you peel it off. Obviously I haven't tried it. She explains this in the wedding cake section (white cake) of the book called Picture cook book by betty crocker (I might be wrong with the name, I am at work and don't have access to book right now).
HTH,

cakebaker1957 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:06pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickntonya

After your post I went searching just out of curiosity and came across this page. I haven't tried anything she said as I just found her site, but her cake sure is white icon_lol.gif Hope this helps you!

http://www.thedabblingmum.com/recipes/kitchensecrets/cakesecrets.htm

Thanks , one time before i started baking cakes myself, this lady that i use to get to bake for me i was over there and she had a sheet cake laying on her counter she started taking her fingers and rolling the brown [part right off the cake left a white cake for sure dont know if would work for a round or not,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%