Any Premade Products You Love?

Decorating By Tashablueyes Updated 22 Jul 2008 , 5:01am by dandelion56602

Tashablueyes Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:11am
post #1 of 30

So I like making my own frosting and fillings and all, but I'm wondering if anyone has any products they adore. It would be nice to have some ready made products for in a pinch and/or just great products that I couldn't do as well myself.

29 replies
littlecake Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:25am
post #2 of 30

i'm lovin the 50 pound buckets of fudge from sams.

they use it to frost their brownies,

i melt and drizzle it on cakes and mix it with my home made buttercream to make chocolate...yum!

Mike1394 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 10:58am
post #3 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

i melt and drizzle it on cakes and mix it with my home made buttercream to make chocolate...yum!

How big is that bucket? It's go to be a big bucket.

Mike

armywifebryan Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:12pm
post #4 of 30

Where do you find it at sam's. I thought I knew that place inside and out!!! lol I shop there every week it seems. Never saw fudge before......I guess I will just have to start looking a bit harder!! icon_wink.gif

snowshoe1 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 30

For premade icing I like Dixie's. For fillings go for the Henry & Henry or the ones from countrykitchensa.com. I usually prefer to make my fillings, but the sleeves are great in a pinch. I seldom make my own BC anymore as we find Dixies better tasting than other recipes I've tried.

Tashablueyes Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 30

Dixies huh? I will go and check that out. It's SUCH a PITA to make my own buttercream since I use a hand mixer and a 6 cup bowl, it takes three batches to frost a decent sized cake! I was hoping someone out there had tried Sam's buttercream because they sell huge tubs for $24... might try it anyway until i can get myself a kitchen aid

Tashablueyes Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 30

So Snowshoe, I looked up Dixies and I am SHOCKED at the price! Can't beat it. But which one do you use? Decorators, Extra Special. Snow white or the stiff "class" buttercream?
Thanks again

MichelleM77 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:32pm
post #8 of 30

Satin Ice Fondant.

Tashablueyes Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:14am
post #9 of 30

does Satin Ice handle well or taste good or both? Sorry for all the questions, I just have a small budget, so I can't end up with products that don't suit me!
I have been thinking that I would try Satin Ice though, so I think I might go for it.
Thanks for the input, keep it coming!

MichelleM77 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:25am
post #10 of 30

Yes and yes. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:29am
post #11 of 30

I dont' do fondant ... but I have done 2 cakes with fondant accents. So from a complete novice, let me say that Satin Ice DOES taste good and is very easy to work with! If I can do it, it's GOT to be easy!!

Tashablueyes Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:40am
post #12 of 30

indydebi, I have only done fondant ONCE. I read up on the subject and determined that MMF was the way to go. I don't know exactly how I screwed it up, maybe just that I had to mix it all by hand, but it was crumbly, greasy and weird... so I've been leery about it ever since. If I can talk my husband into the cost, I am going to try it. (maybe he'll get tired of paying for premade products and get me a new mixer, eh?)

MichelleM77 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:51am
post #13 of 30

I didn't have any luck with MMF either. Way too greasy. My husband is one that prefers I spend money on something instead of wasting time and money on something that is not as good.

littlecake Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:08pm
post #14 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by armywifebryan

Where do you find it at sam's. I thought I knew that place inside and out!!! lol I shop there every week it seems. Never saw fudge before......I guess I will just have to start looking a bit harder!! icon_wink.gif

you have to ask for it at the bakery counter....

not a bad price at around 37 bucks

littlecake Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:09pm
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

How big is that bucket? It's go to be a big bucket.

Mike

it's the same size as the 25 pound buckets of icing...but it's heavier since theres no air in it.

snowshoe1 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:14pm
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashablueyes

So Snowshoe, I looked up Dixies and I am SHOCKED at the price! Can't beat it. But which one do you use? Decorators, Extra Special. Snow white or the stiff "class" buttercream?
Thanks again

I get the Special Recipe Vanilla (usually in white but I usually have a small tub of black around the house). FYI - this icing does not crust but its easy to smooth when chilled. I've also used it under fondant and added flavors as a filling.

dandelion56602 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:16pm
post #17 of 30
Quote:

I was hoping someone out there had tried Sam's buttercream because they sell huge tubs for $24... might try it anyway until i can get myself a kitchen aid

Well, there's a slew of CCr's who love the stuff. I bought a small bucket of it at Christmas to help out. It's smooth & it is easy to ice w/ but that stuff tastes soooo nasty (and will not take flavor---even concentrated oils). So, after being highly disappointed, I finally fell in love w/ Sugarshack's buttercream. I make a 6 qt bowl full & it's the same amount as Sam's buttercream & freezes well too. I use to have to use a hand mixer & do small batches, then I talked my dh into letting me get my 6qt kitchen aid.

sunnigirl Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:40pm
post #18 of 30

Two questions.....
Is Dixie's a website?
Is SugarShacks buttercream from a recipe here on CC or is from a website?
Tks!

Tashablueyes Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:38pm
post #19 of 30

dandelion, I'd LOVE to get a new mixer, but I'm just starting out and even cake circles seem pricey, lol! Some day I will be making my own again, it's so much better when you can tweak the flavor yourself!

loriemoms Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:16pm
post #20 of 30

Lucks Royal Icing flowers. They come in every color you can image, in, small, medium and large are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP (I can't even make them this cheap...) and are PRETTY!!!

indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:41pm
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Lucks Royal Icing flowers. They come in every color you can image, in, small, medium and large are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP (I can't even make them this cheap...) and are PRETTY!!!

Wow, you're not kidding! I've just bookmarked this site and will definitely be expanding my horizons with their products! Thanks for this info!!

loriemoms Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:51pm
post #22 of 30

Hey debi, if you have a CK products account or a pfiel and holing account, they sell them too! (sometimes Lucks shipping is a little slow)

loriemoms Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:55pm
post #23 of 30

Hey debi, if you have a CK products account or a pfiel and holing account, they sell them too! (sometimes Lucks shipping is a little slow)

toodlesjupiter Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:09pm
post #24 of 30

I love FondX fondant. Way easy to work with, and IMHO way tastier than Satin Ice.

loriemoms Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:18pm
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodlesjupiter

I love FondX fondant. Way easy to work with, and IMHO way tastier than Satin Ice.

I agree with you there! I LOVE fondx!!

Bossy Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:26pm
post #26 of 30

Snowshoe!! I am also interested in which type of Dixies you are using. How long does it last after opening?

dandelion56602 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:52pm
post #27 of 30
Quote:

dandelion, I'd LOVE to get a new mixer, but I'm just starting out and even cake circles seem pricey, lol! Some day I will be making my own again, it's so much better when you can tweak the flavor yourself!

One thing to keep in mind is Walmart & Sam's sells them. I actually got mine as my Christmas/Birthday (Dec 27th) present. Plus, I do more w/ it than just cake "stuff". Another thing you could do is for bday, anniversary, christmas, etc ask people to give you gift cards b/c you're wanting a mixer to expand your horizons.

Sugarshack's is here on CC. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5163-1-Sugarshacks-icing-and-Tips.html

indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 8:05pm
post #28 of 30

Hubby's birthday is Dec 27th!!! And son-in-law's is Dec 29th. The holidays never end at our house! icon_lol.gif

foxymomma521 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 8:06pm
post #29 of 30

amazon had their 6 qt KA on sale today for $289- just in case anyone needs one icon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 5:01am
post #30 of 30

Got ya beat indydebi. My mom's is also 12-27, my brother's is the 30th. My dh's grandmother's is the 16th, his grandpa's was the 26th. Then we have 2 w/in a day of Valentine's day & one on Vday!!!!! Not to mention Thanksgiving too!!!! Ours never ends either!!!

Man, wish I could talk my dh into another KA. After getting a chewing over buying another cooling rack (lack of space) icon_smile.gif don't think he'd go for it!

Must say I'm up for purchasing gumpaste flowers. I'm not too good at them yet, but don't know the cheapest, but best place to purchase them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%