Rolling Out Mmf

Decorating By Henna20 Updated 20 Jul 2008 , 5:09am by MacsMom

Henna20 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:58am
post #1 of 8

I'm new to working with fondant and so far i have been rolling it out using corn starch to keep it from sticking but its making such a big mess and i can't seem to get off all the corn starch from the fondant pieces (i'm making a bow). is there anything else to use to keep it from sticking?

7 replies
PinkZiab Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:05am
post #2 of 8

rub the rolling surface and tools with shortening.

eatdessert1st Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 8

I agree w/ the shortening. Rub a bit on your surface and your rolling pin. I keep cornstarch in a shaker bottle and use that, too. The cornstarch should just brush off of your fondant pieces when you're done. Use a paintbrush to brush it off.

HTH,
Melanie Mc.

countrygirlz Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 8

The last couple of times I worked on a sheet of waxed paper and I haven't had a problem rolling it out, plus I didn't need to add shortening or icing sugar, just an idea for you. icon_smile.gif

tyty Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 8

I got a tip here on CC to go to Wal-Mart and get 2 yards of heavy duty vinyl. Then you cut it into large mats and roll your mmf between the sheets. You don't need any shortening, sugar or corn starch, just the mmf and the mats. It works great. You just lift off one sheet and the electricity holds it on to the other sheet. Then I just place it over the cake and gently peel off, no mess.

Henna20 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 4:45am
post #6 of 8

thanks for all the replies.
i was rolling out the mmf to make a loopy bow. i tried using crisco but then the mmf got so sticky and gooey. i had to go back to using the cornstach and even when i brushed it off some still stayed. i also tried rolling it between two pieces of wax paper but i had the same problem as with the crisco.
would rolling it on vinyl work when i'm just using it for ribbons and such and not for covering the cake?
any ideas of why this happened?

LeckieAnne Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 4:54am
post #7 of 8

Which mmf recipe are you using - the one with the crisco in it? I find that one gets kinda' sticky at times. Also - are you letting it rest at least 24 hours before you use it?

MacsMom Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 5:09am
post #8 of 8

I just use parchment paper. Nothing else. I buy large sheets at Smart&Final in the cookware department.

If your MMF is sticky perhaps you aren't mixing in enough PS? Or live where it's humid...

In any case, loopy bows are best mixed with some gumpaste to help hold their shape and dry quicker.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%