Indydebi's Crisco-Based Buttercream Icing - Question

Decorating By kutabby Updated 18 Jul 2008 , 12:54am by bizatchgirl

kutabby Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:44am
post #1 of 9

How long can you keep it? I made it 2 weeks ago tomorrow and put it in the fridge. Sadly, I had actually forgotten about it b/c it got pushed to the back of the fridge icon_redface.gif I was going to make more tonight, then found it when I was making dinner! Is it still ok?
Tabby

8 replies
bizatchgirl Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:56am
post #2 of 9

I read on a PP that it should only be kept in the fridge for a week. Freezer is like 6 months. PM Indydebi if no one else jumps on here soon to give an expert opinion.

indydebi Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:20am
post #3 of 9

I leave it sitting on my counter for 2 weeks or so. I never refrigerate it.

bizatchgirl Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:22am
post #4 of 9

Wow was I off! Maybe I was remembering something about regular buttercream, not Indydebi's recipe. Yours doesn't have any milk in it, does it Indydebi? I really gotta try some since I'm allergic to milk icon_cry.gif

indydebi Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 11:10am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizatchgirl

Wow was I off! Maybe I was remembering something about regular buttercream, not Indydebi's recipe. Yours doesn't have any milk in it, does it Indydebi? I really gotta try some since I'm allergic to milk icon_cry.gif

Yes, it has milk in it.

gr8_seamstress Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 9

I have kept buttercream refrigerated up to a month & have not had any adverse results.
As for keeping it unrefrigerated...........if it contains milk, it will be a great place for bacterial growth (salmonella) & will not be safe to eat.

indydebi Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 9

You will find a number of threads on here where it is explained how sugar and milk stablize each other.

gr8_seamstress Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 9:29pm
post #8 of 9

Salmonella is not inhibited by sugar or milk. If there is milk in the buttercream the salmonella bacteria can grow, and grow more rapidly when it is not refrigerated.
Ya know the saying............keep hot foods hot & cold foods cold.

bizatchgirl Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:54am
post #9 of 9

I just saw one of those threads recently. There was discussion about sugar being a preservative, like in jams and such. The jist I kind of took from things is that the environment just isn't right for the bacteria. Maybe the other ingredients serve to preserve the milk and inhibit growth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%