Mixing Mmf And Gum Paste

Decorating By ziert003 Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 7:24pm by ceshell

ziert003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziert003 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:38am
post #1 of 5

I'm pretty sure this was previously discussed but I can't find it. I'm making a garden cake and I just want the MMF to hold it's shape a bit more on the veggies. I'm reasonably new at this. I have some of Wilton's gum paste mix. Should I make up a batch and then knead it in with the MMF or just add the powder to the MMF? How much? I don't want it to be hard and dry like gum paste. I just need it to hold the details.

Thanks.

4 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 6:46am
post #2 of 5

I like using 50/50 fondant/gp but it will eventually dry hard, although much slower than straight gumpaste. So maybe if you don't want it to dry hard, you can adjust the ratio a bit to favor MMF...80% mmf maybe...

I have added Gum-Tex straight to MMF to firm it up but never plain gumpaste mix, so I don't know the "correct" answer...but in lieu of knowing otherwise, I myself would indeed mix up the GP first and then add it to the MMF. In my experience, gumtex will firm up your mmf really well, but even your hard items will be a bit more soft than the rock-hard result you'd have gotten from gumpaste, especially if you tuck them into a sealed container to prevent them from drying completely.

ziert003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziert003 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you! I think I will just head back to JoAnn's and get the Gum-tex. I just need a little firmer MMF. Thank you again. This is such a fabulous site. There is always someone who knows the answer.

disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 5

I do this all the time! Works great! Adding gumpaste to mmf

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 5

Try it with like 70-80% mmf and 30-20% gumpaste, since you've already got it on hand! Just let them dry out for an hour or two and then seal em in a container so they don't continue to dry out. Save yourself a trip to the store icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%