Stacking Buttercream Cakes Question

Decorating By woodthi32 Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 11:42am by maryg083

woodthi32 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:33am
post #1 of 8

Can some of you share your tips for stacking buttercream cakes without smudging the hell out of the icing when you pull your hands out??
Also, how do you get a crisp bottom edge when removing your buttercream frosted tier from the board on which you frosted it?
THANKS!!

7 replies
luelue1971 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:46am
post #2 of 8

In order to not smear the buttercream when you stack leave your supports in the tier below sticking up from the cake so that when you place your cake on top of the lower cake the supports will sink into the lower cake thus giving you time to remove your hands.

In order to keep the board from getting the icing off the lower tier you can sprinkle powdered sugar or coconut on top of the lower cake.

I hope this all made sense. I'm sure someone else can clarify better.

woodthi32 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:55am
post #3 of 8

THANK YOU so much!!

wjmonte Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 11:43am
post #4 of 8

SugarEd has a great DVD that shows exactly this! and a whole lot more:

www.sugaredproductions.com

jammjenks Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by luelue1971

In order to not smear the buttercream when you stack leave your supports in the tier below sticking up from the cake so that when you place your cake on top of the lower cake the supports will sink into the lower cake thus giving you time to remove your hands.

In order to keep the board from getting the icing off the lower tier you can sprinkle powdered sugar or coconut on top of the lower cake.

I hope this all made sense. I'm sure someone else can clarify better.

This is exactly what I do. As far as a clean bottom edge, I'd say you'll just have to fish with the knife/server to find where the cake meets the board. Cakes without bottom borders would be easier to cut cleanly than ones with them. Really though, when you cut down you would feel the cake board make your knife stop. Is that what you mean?

luelue1971 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 8

I think she means when you lift the upper cake off the lower cake the icing comes off the lower cake because it is sticking to the board.

At least that's how I interpreted it.

indydebi Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:35pm
post #7 of 8

I don't use my hands to stack a cake as much as I use my spatula ... when it's in place, lower the cake with the spatula and it slides right out. Always do this from the back, though, in case it catches a small piece of icing or something (I usually have some kind of border, so it's no big deal if it gets messed up a bit anyway.)

See other suggestions on this thread: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-595258-15.html

maryg083 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:42am
post #8 of 8

I was considering this delema today w/ a fondant cake- I think I'll give the spatula trick a whirl!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%