What Is Your Relationship With Other Decorators In Your Area

Decorating By aligotmatt Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 7:29am by CoutureCake

aligotmatt Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:31am
post #1 of 3

I know we are friendly on here... not much of a competition. But what are you like with other decorators closer to you? Do you know them?

I'm very friendly with other decorators around me. I think cakes are a happy thing and should be treated with happy thoughts and behavior. I call new decorators when I see them advertise and offer to take them out for coffee just to meet and chat. A bunch of us meet on Saturday nights once a month after our deliveries for wine or margaritas. One lady was out of fondant for a big cake so she swung by and borrowed 20 pounds of mine. I didn't have some shell molds I thought I had so I swung by and borrowed hers.

Not only is it nice to have cake friends... we also meet with the same brides, which is kind of funny. Plus, I love to know where people land! Don't you? I have this whole consultation and then they never call again, and it's nice to know where they ended up.

So a new decorator popped on the grid recently so I called them up and told them a goup of 4 of us were meeting for wine one weekend and wanted to know if they wanted to join and meet everyone. They were very friendly and kind of said yes, but didn't show... And it's just been awkward. Which kind of made me wonder if this whole cake relationship thing we have is not normal at all?

What do you all do?

2 replies
indydebi Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:09am
post #2 of 3

I have a very good "sister-ship" with a CC'er who recently opened her shop just minutes from me! She needed some gold spray once, and instead of driving 45 min to the cake supply shop, she swung by my place and borrowed a can of mine. I do a few cakes for the Indiana State House and one time they called and I was booked and couldn't do it ... so I referred the order to her, and loaned her my iced tea and lemonade dispensers to use during the event.

I know quite a few decorators thru my membership in ICES, which is a great resource for getting to know folks.

Have the same sister-ship with another caterer. We refer clients to each other all the time and have lunch 2-3 times a year. (Caterers just want to go home and soak their feet after an event, so finding free time on our calendars is the big challenge!)

I'd say invite her again ... she may have had something come up.

CoutureCake Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:29am
post #3 of 3

I think it really depends on the baker. There are some that I have a good relationship with and refer business to when I can't. There are people who bake out of their home that I have good relationships with... Then there are those that we have our game face ego's turned on full strength whenever we see eachother. Then there are the people that are just plain snobs to deal with who think their stuff doesn't stink and no one does comperable or better work.

The thing is, for better or for worse, it's that way in every industry..

Quote by @%username% on %date%